Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: A Love Poem

Bob Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:50:34 +0000

text/plain

Hi Rhianna,
And welcome to what goes on!
And an interesting, intruiging, poem to start with.
I like the irony that, even tho it's a love poem, it's focused on one person
(and that person's untouchable because they're in a "glass of air" and that
person is (shivering) inside their own language as well! But, even tho it's
only about one person, the other person is always around.
And there's lots of interesting phrases: "the bare stone of self
advertisement" is the kind of phrase I want to keep with me and remember
when I see someone it may describe for me.
I also like the energy it has right at the start with the word "Here" - and
then it explodes with the word "wanting!" It keeps that energy, that
urgency, all the way through!
Since it's intended to be a "spoken poem" it might be interesting to know if
you feel it works best with its suddenness (and, therefore, little chance of
analysis) or if you then feel people may get more from it if they have
chance to linger over what it's saying (like we have chance to do here).

Bob

PS - when you say "a senior at the Douglas Anderson School of Arts" I can't
grasp what that means... perhaps I ought to watch more television programmes
from the United States! (The ones where it always seems to be a summer's
morning, where there's no wasps buzzing round when people are eating, and
everyone walks around with huge piles of files). But if y don't want to say
it doesn't really matter!