Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: To Frank re : Punctuation

grasshopper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:22:46 +0100

text/plain

Frank wrote
" In my work I get away with it probably because standards aren't great
- readers do not look closely at punctuation unless it interferes with
comprehension of the written word."
Frank, I am totally bewildered by this, as the whole point of punctuation is
to make what is written MORE comprehensible. That is why the convention has
lasted so long, - it works!
I must agree with what Arthur has suggested that a long poem without
punctuation resembles stream-of-consciousness, and I find long pieces of
text with no punctuation much more difficult to read. Punctuation simply
tells the reader were to pause, and the value of the pause, just like
musical notation.
 Also I think it's hard to convey,say, the possessive case without
punctuation--
 if you write grandfathers instead of grandfather's, it is less clear, and,
frankly, can appear plumb ignorant. And what about I don't, I can't,
becoming I dont, I cant?
 I think you can get away with no punctuation in short pieces,-it can give a
certain feeling to a poem,- but in long pieces, I don't think punctuation
should be dumped, otherwise the text can seem like a long ramble.
Kind regards,
 grasshopper