THE-WORKS  2002

THE-WORKS 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: sub - lino dancing - arthur (continued)

Bob Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:23:51 +0000

text/plain

Hi Frank,
Hope y don’t mind me joining in.
You’re making interesting comments here! Well, they interest me at any rate.
Because I, too, feel I must have been off school on the day they taught all
the stuff about apostrophes and the like. I struggle too. Perhaps the truth
is I was never taught in a way that I could understand. Like you I sometimes
find it a real effort and, like someone who stammers I sometimes used to go
to great lengths (and amazing inventiveness), to try and make sure I could
avoid things I couldn’t say. I think it’s called compensation.
With apostrophes there’s still times I just can’t work out what to do. The
grammar checker on this machine isn’t always as helpful as I think it should
be either. So, in an embarrassed way, I sidle up to someone I trust and say,
“I want to write...” (and show him or her the phrase, and the troublesome
word, and explain) “But this doesn’t seem to be right...”
Ha! I had a similar problem a few weeks ago with “people” “peoples”
“people’s” and “peoples.’” I couldn’t work out which was the right one to
use. I had to get help!
But I’ve also played games with poems to learn. I sort of get angry because
I think, “I can speak this bloody language. So I’m going to write it down!”
Because I feel that voice matters in poetry I’ve played with poems that flow
out like conversation flows out – perhaps without a full stop until the very
end. Sometimes I’ve played with apostrophes and set myself the challenge to
include one somewhere on each line! I’ve sometimes surprised myself with
what’s then turned up. (But not always.) Because I’ve been playing “practice
matches and not real games” I’ve more chance of laughing at myself, of
trying again and again, until I’ve got it right. With “its” it’s” and “its’”
a short poem in a vernacular tone may be fun to try!
And I like what you say about how you discovered the significances of line
endings by avoiding doing other things!
I’ve played similar sorts of games with hidden rules to incorporate
particular words. And, sometimes, how words are constructed. I think, for
instance, because I’m (again) using maybe too many words with an “ing” at
the end I ought to try creating a poem or two that purposefully use as many
as I can and then try to rewrite using none at all! The poems may be naff
and not the kind of things to show to anyone else – but that’s not the
point...
I remember once, (Oh, it's story time...) when I played football (soccer)
the coach making two of us play for half an hour wearing a trainer on our
right foot and a boot on our left. Why us? I thought. Most of the team were
right-footed! And did it feel odd? You bet! Embarrassed? Yeah (Ever tried
running round in odd shoes?). We soon learnt, tho, that we actually could do
what he’d never seen us do – pass, and even shoot, with our left feet! And
did it work? Yeh! I then played two full seasons in the left midfield (still
using my right foot most of the time – and putting thro passes
left-midfield-players could rarely do) but, when the need arose, doing
things I never would have tried with my left.
I also find conversations about the grammar I use in my poems really
terrifying. If someone says things about my “prepositional clauses,” or my
“subjunctives” (or anything else like that!) I panic - and hope I can then
say “show me what you mean.” – and, as well as seeing how they modify what
I’ve written, I’m desperately whispering under my breath “So that’s a
prepositional clause!” It seems such a big phrase for such a small thing.
And I never seem to remember the names of all these things... (The names, it
seems, were invented by some smartarses who loved Latin names more than they
loved English grammar!) But in the piece that I’ve written I, hopefully, can
see what’s meant! And how the changes actually change what I’ve written.
One thing that makes me really sad, tho, is children who’re terrified of
writing poems and stories because they don’t know how to spell things, or
write things correctly. They stop in mid-flow and seem to lose what they
had. I always want to say to them, “Write it first, correct it later!”
perhaps because that’s what works for me, that’s what I do myself.
Bob

PS   I agree with your comment about italics in the middle of the poem too.
It might help to make things clearer. Italics are a good tool (and are a lot
easier to create with a word processor than the old clockwork typewriter!).