Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: woodpecker, & revisions in general.

Sally Evans <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 15 Jun 2002 23:00:57 +0100

text/plain

Good one, Bob. yes. I know Kenneth White, he pops in at Edinburgh about once
a year. And I find your comments about Monet's waterlilies helpful, we all
do return to favourite themes or areas again and again. And I like very much
your remark "the audience includes those who keep quiet as well."

We have to be ready for comment/criticism (especially if we ask for it) and
take it on board without letting it sway our minds off our main purposes.
last week I had two instances of readers being quite strongly pro and anti
the same poem (separate poems). Talking to a friend in Edinburgh she said
you need confidence in what you are trying to do with your writing, while at
the same time you may have to be receptive, say, in a reading, to which
poems a particular audience may prefer.

I think I may have a woodpecker sequence brooding away there, and should
leave it awhile to settle down.

Much thanks
SallyE