Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Voices in Spring

Bob Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 Jun 2002 16:04:09 +0000

text/plain

Arthur responds with an Impressionist painter - where they worked so rapidly
to capture a moment... yet when I first read this I was more aware of how
much chronological time you were holding in the poem... From strolling along
in the afternoon, all thro the evening, and into the night (then, with the
angels there's a hint of eternity - a longish time - in there as well).
(& in the penultimate stanza should there be a line break between "Heaven"
and "from"?
The mood you create seems, to me, to evoke more of the heat of high summer
than spring... I mean is spring supposed to allude to the symbolism of
youth? I wonder that because the "I voice" of the poem seems the youngest
person in the poem... the other people seem much older, the phantom
companions seem as old as the I voice, or ageless.
And the poem ends with "we..." so, after all the intimate details, the
poet's leapt out of the poem to tell us they're all asleep.
The last couplet, too, is a surprise! I don't know if there's a quotation,
or allusion, I'm missing here. It sounds OK! But I'm sort of surprised, sort
of wondering why angels write poems & who, therefore, wrote the last line
(the poet, or the angels, or the child, or the child-when-grown-up, or
who?).
Bob