THE-WORKS  2002

THE-WORKS 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Jesus : warning: (not so) anti-Christian

Bob Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 2 Mar 2002 00:40:17 +0000

text/plain

I'm as intrigued by the discussion as much as I'm interested in the poem.
But real poetry... (true poetry...)... don't know what that is myself
(except when I come across it!).
If I were forced to make a definition of Good Poetry, though, I might want
to talk about focus, about a blend of form and content, about the way the
words I read (or hear) make me want to say "Yes!"
Parts of this poem remind me very strongly of Blake (particularly the songs
of innocence & experience - and your line "when I desired to dance and play"
seems to echo Blakes protests at organised religion so clearly and loudly!).
Blake, however, (for good reasons!) had to write in a kind of code where
direct attacks were well hidden. (& Blake was a poet people still say "Yes!"
to).
I also enjoy echoes of Betjemin's ironic style, and Stevie Smith's skill at
stating the devastating critical comments so simply.
I guess, though, each of the people I'm reminded of wrote with a tighter
adherance to metrical form (and a hymn stanza wouldn't be innapropriate to
the subject - I guess). But I think I may now be saying what christina's
already said.
And Arthur's also pointed out how it isn't simply a devastating attack...
I read it with a smile - and still recognise its strengths - and it's
(redeemable technical) faults.
Bob

on 1/3/02 8:21 pm, grasshopper at [log in to unmask]
wrote:

>Dear James.
>I think it's a bit unfair to expect Sally to present
>a crtitique of other religions when it's clear she's writing about her
own
>upbringing as a Christian, not a Buddhist or a Hindu or whatever.
>There's a long and healthy tradition of bashing the Christian
religion, from
>Chaucer and probably before.
>I don't see that being a rant stops a piece being a 'true' poem,- not
sure
>what a true poem is, to be honest, but of course, we all have our own
>opinions.( I would be very interested if you could elaborate on what
you
>feel makes a true poem). Isn't there a distinguished tradition of
rants in
>English poetry, Pope, Swift, right back to the Anglo Saxon curses?
>I did feel it was a true poem, and I thought, I may be wrong that it
>conveyed sincere feelings, to which I responded. I sense Sally and I
may
>have attended the same sort of school - 'He wants me in his hockey
team'
>Yes,play up and play the game. Oh yes, and I was also threatened with
not
>being made a prefect if I didn't attend the Christian worship part of
>assembly, which,as an agnostic, meant nothing to me.
>The only problem for me with Sally's poem, was that as a rant, it
>wasn't bitter enough.
>
>Kind regards,
>grasshopper

Oh yes it was sincere feelings, Grassy, but putting this poem up has
shown
me that I still feel guilty and apologetic about writing like this. I
still
see it as "negative feelings". And perhaps rather unimportant feelings?
can't stand up for my views when ticked off by nice people like James!

And school does come into it, doesn't it, social pressure.

Perhaps I can do this subject better some day.

Thanks
Sally ee