PRAHA2002/Second circular

Per Jensen <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:43:11 +0100

text/plain

 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|                                                                   |_|
|_|                 Second Circular  for PRAHA2002,                   |_|
|_|   the 17th International Conference on High Resolution Molecular  |_|
|_|        Spectroscopy to be held in Prague, Czech Republic,         |_|
|_|        Sunday, September 1 -  Thursday, September 5, 2002         |_|
|_|                                                                   |_|
|_| To  participate  in  the meeting,  you  should  register  before  |_|
|_|                           May 1st, 2002                           |_|
|_| If you have preregistered, you will receive a  registration  form |_|
|_| by paper mail  during March 2002.  Otherwise you can download the |_|
|_| form electronically or request a printed form as described below. |_|
|_|                                                                   |_|
|_| The text of the second circular is attached below; you can find a |_|
|_| typographically more pleasing version at our WEB site             |_|
|_|                                                                   |_|
|_|           http://www.chem.uni-wuppertal.de/conference/            |_|
|_|                                                                   |_|
|_| PLEASE PASS ON THIS INFORMATION TO OTHER INTERESTED INDIVIDUALS!  |_|
|_|                                                                   |_|
|_| PLEASE NOTE: THIS CIRCULAR WILL NOT BE DISTRIBUTED BY PAPER MAIL  |_|
|_|_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _|_|
|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

 PPPPPPP   RRRRRRR    AAAAAA   HH    HH   AAAAAA      00000     22222
 PP    PP  RR    RR  AA    AA  HH    HH  AA    AA    00   00   22   22
 PP    PP  RR    RR  AA    AA  HH    HH  AA    AA   00     00      22
 PPPPPPP   RRRRRRR   AAAAAAAA  HHHHHHHH  AAAAAAAA   00     00     22
 PP        RR  RR    AA    AA  HH    HH  AA    AA   00     00    22
 PP        RR   RR   AA    AA  HH    HH  AA    AA    00   00    22
 PP        RR    RR  AA    AA  HH    HH  AA    AA     00000    2222222

The 17th International Conference on High Resolution Molecular Spectroscopy
                Prague, Czech Republic, September 1-5, 2002

                        LOCAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

         Stepan URBAN, chairman                      OTA BLUDSKY
 Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic           PAVEL KUBAT
J. Heyrovsky Institute of Physical Chemistry         PATRIK KANIA
               Dolejskova 3                        IVANA PAIDAROVA
             CZ-18223 Praha 8                        PETR PRACNA
              Czech Republic                       MARIE SIMECKOVA
                                                   MILAN  SINDELKA
     Tel.: +420-2-6605 3635 (Urban)                VLADIMIR SPIRKO
 +420-2-6605 3636(Spirko)+420-2-6605 3426(Pracna)    KAREL VOLKA
 Fax: +420-2-6605 3888, +420-2-8658 2307            ONDREJ VOTAVA
                                                    IVAN  WILHELM
      E-mail: [log in to unmask]               ZDENEK ZELINGER
  [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

                      INTERNATIONAL STEERING COMMITTEE

          PER JENSEN,  chairman                     THERESE HUET
       FB 9 - Theoretische Chemie                  LUCIANO FUSINA
        Bergische  Universitaet -                 MAREK KREGLEWSKI
       Gesamthochschule  Wuppertal              VALERY  I. PEREVALOV
             Gaussstrasse 20                       WOLFGANG STAHL
            D-42097 Wuppertal                    JAMES K.G. WATSON
                 Germany                         KOICHI M.T. YAMADA
        Phone: +49 202 439 2468
         Fax : +49 202 439 2509
       E-mail: [log in to unmask]

                        2ND CIRCULAR: MARCH 2002

The conference will be held in Prague-Troja [approx. 5 km north of
Wenceslas Square and less than 1 km from the Metro (subway/underground)
station Nadrazi Holesovice], in buildings of the Charles University.
The local organization will be undertaken by the J. Heyrovsky
Institute of Physical Chemistry in the Academy of Sciences of the Czech
Republic, Prague in collaboration with  the Ioannes Marcus Marci
Spectroscopic Society and The Charles University.

Please note that the meeting starts on a Sunday and ends on a Thursday.
Hence you can conveniently make use of low-priced air line tickets
requiring  you to spend a Saturday night in Prague.

Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic, is a first-rank European
cultural centre. It is not only a historical city with an extensive
legacy of gothic and baroque cultural treasures, but also a modern
metropolis with an infrastructure prepared to welcome more than a
million visitors per year.

Scientific program
------------------

The invited speakers are:

FRANK C. DE LUCIA, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, U.S.A.
Physics and spectroscopy in the submillimeter.

ROBERT R. GAMACHE, University of Massachusetts, Lowell, MA, U.S.A.
Theoretical Determination of line shape parameters for atmospheric molecules:
Complex Robert-Bonamy formalism.

DOLORES GAUYACQ, Universite de Paris-Sud, Orsay, France
Structure and relaxation dynamics of Rydberg molecules, studied by multiphoton
or VUV spectroscopy.

WOLFGANG JAGER, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Spectra, structures, and dynamics of weakly bound clusters from dimers
to heptamers.

ROBERT J. LE ROY, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
The new "potentiology": Challenges and solutions in direct determination
of potential energy and Born-Oppenheimer breakdown functions from
spectroscopic data analysis.

JOHN P. MAIER, University of Basel, Switzerland
Electronic spectroscopy of carbon chains of relevance to astrophysics.

TAKAMASA MOMOSE, Kyoto University, Japan
High-resolution spectroscopy of small molecules in hydrogen crystals.

RUTH SIGNORELL, Universitat Gottingen, Germany
Particulate matter - between molecular clusters and bulk.

MASAHIKO TANI, Kansai Advanced Research Center, Kobe, Japan
Coherent time-domain spectroscopy with pulsed terahertz radiation.

JEAN VANDER AUWERA, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium
Absolute intensity measurements using high-resolution Fourier transform
spectroscopy.

ANDREI VIGASIN, Obukhov Institute of Atmospheric Physics,
Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia
Bimolecular effects in infrared absorption spectra of atmospheric gases.

In addition, in the afternoon of Tuesday, September 3, 2002 the ceremonial
                     Ioannes Marcus Marci Session
will be held in a historic lecture hall in the city centre with the
opening speaker

JON T. HOUGEN
High Resolution Molecular Spectroscopy: Personal Recollections From
the Past 40 Years and Some Thoughts About the Future

and the featured Ioannes Marcus Marci speaker

AHMED H. ZEWAIL
Spectroscopy At the Limit of Time

All the lecture titles are preliminary.

Contributions, which will be presented as posters or  in some cases as
contributed lectures (if selected by the organizing committee), are
invited in the fields of:

 * Observation, measurement, and analysis of high resolution
   rotational, vibrational, or electronic spectra of molecules
   (radicals, ions, complexes, clusters, ...) in the gas phase or in
   matrices.

 * Experimental techniques for observing such spectra.

 * Theory assisting the prediction, simulation, and interpretation of
   them.

 * Applications in related  fields such as the physics and chemistry
   of the atmospheres of planets and cool stars, the physics and
   chemistry of the interstellar medium, chemical kinetics, etc.

Abstracts
---------
Abstracts can be submitted electronically from March 26th 2002.

The deadline for submission of abstracts is June 1st 2002.

ELECTRONIC ABSTRACT SUBMISSION (EAS)

Because we want to make the abstracts available on the conference
homepage, we need all of them to be submitted electronically into
the Electronic Abstract Submission (EAS) system. For this we employ
slightly modified versions of the programs written by Dr. Sergey Panov
and Prof. Terry A. Miller for the Ohio State University Symposia on
Molecular Spectroscopy, to whom we are very grateful for making these
programs available to us. However, if an electronic submission is
not possible for you, please contact the organizers to arrange an
alternative way of submission.

Before submitting your abstract electronically, we recommend that you
download the instructions. To accomplish this, do one of the following:

 * Access the PRAHA2002 WWW site at
   http://www.chem.uni-wuppertal.de/conference/ and follow the
   menu to the electronic abstract submission instructions, or

 * Access our anonymous ftp server at ftp.uni-wuppertal.de
   and download the file "submit", or

 * Send an empty email to [log in to unmask]
   with the subject: EAS Instructions

When you have completed your electronic abstract,  email it to our
test address for previewing or to the above email address for final
submission. Upon receipt, your document will be processed by a
LaTeX-2e compiler and you will automatically receive an email reply
indicating either a successful submission or a problem. If you
submit your abstract electronically and you receive confirmation of
a successful submission, you do not need to do anything else.
Please note that we can handle only one format for electronic submission.
LaTeX was chosen because of its support by several American professional
societies and widespread use in the worldwide scientific community.

You can present your contribution as a poster (default) or as a talk. If
you prefer a talk, please make the appropriate indication in the file
submitted to EAS (see the "\category" and "\timereq" commands in the
Instructions for EAS on our conference homepage). Duration of
contributed talks is limited to 15 min. Owing to the limited time
available for contributed talks, we may not be able to grant all
applications for oral presentations or we may find it necessary to
shorten some contributed talks. If we have to shorten your talk or
turn it into a poster, we will inform you about this as soon as possible.

PRAHA2002 Pliva Prizes
----------------------
At the meeting, PRAHA2002 Pliva Prizes will be awarded for the best student
contributions.

The prizes will consist of a diploma and the recipients will be given
a selection of books.

In order to be eligible for a PRAHA02 Pliva Prize, a student must

 *  be the primary (first) author of the work being presented;

 *  for talks: be the actual presenter of the talk;

 *  for posters: assume the sole responsibility for the presentation
    during the entire session, and

 *   be working for a Ph.D. or having completed it within the last
     12 months (at the time of the meeting).

If students wish to compete with their poster for the PRAHA2002 Pliva Prize,
she or he should indicate this by the word "Pliva" in the "\comment"
field of the EAS submission (due by June 1, 2002)
for the talk or poster to be judged, if this abstract is submitted
electronically.  The research supervisor should then send a letter
(to  PRAHA02, c/o Dr. Stepan Urban, J.Heyrovsky Institute of Physical
Chemistry, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Dolejskova 3,
CZ-18223 Praha 8, Czech Republic) certifying that the student meets all
of the above requirements.  The letter of certification should mention
the unique identification (in the form "pnnn", where "nnn" is a three-digit
number) assigned to the abstract by the electronic abstract submission
software. The letter of certification is not a nomination letter and will
not be considered by the prize judges. If the abstract is submitted by
paper mail, the letter of certification should accompany it.

Accommodation
-------------
Reservation of accommodation should be made before June 1st 2002
(see the registration form). Single and double rooms will be available in
student dormitories within easy walking distance of the conference site.
For participants who prefer to stay in hotels, we will attempt to provide
comfortable rooms. However, the hotels may be located some distance from the
conference site. In hotels of category ***, the rooms have telephones,
TV sets, private bathrooms, toilets and parking. Prices of all types of
accommodation include breakfast.

Expected accommodation prices (CZK/person,night)
Student dormitory /single room    500
                  /double room    350
        Hotel *** /single room   1500
                  /double room   1000

At present, 1000 CZK (Czech crowns) is approximately equivalent to
32 EUR or 28 USD. As the value of the CZK in EUR or USD appears to
be continuously increasing, it is advantageous to pay as soon as
possible!

Please note that the accommodation can be extended by one night for those
participants who wish to spend more time in Prague after the end of the
conference. This preference should be indicated in the registration form.

Lunch and dinner (and breakfast for participants staying in student
dormitories) will be served at the student cafeteria at the conference site.
There will be a reception instead of dinner on Tuesday, September 3.
Reservation of meals is advised to be done in the registration form.
On site payments will be accepted in the local currency (preferable),
or in main convertible currencies.

Meal prices /CZK                    Normal price    On site payment
----------------
Unit meal (lunch or dinner)              250             300
Reception (September 3)                  400             450
Meal package  (9 meals + reception)     2300            2700
Lunch package (5 lunches + reception)   1400            1600

Registration
------------
You should register before May 1st 2002 (see the registration form).
If you have submitted a preregistration form, you should receive the
registration form by paper mail during March 2002. Otherwise, you can
get a registration form in one of the following ways:

 * Download the PostScript file reg.ps or the WORD97 document
   reg.doc from our ftp server. These files are formatted for A4 paper.
   If you use letter size (8.5 x 11 inch) paper, please download
   reg_lett.ps or reg_lett.doc. The files contain PostScript and WORD97
   versions of the registration form. You can print out the files and fill
   out the printed form, or fill out the WORD document electronically and
   then print it. The printed form must be signed (important!)
   and sent by paper mail to the address indicated.

 * Contact the local organizers (by paper mail, phone, fax, or e-mail.
   and give them your paper mail address.

 * You can also request a blank registration form from our WWW
   fill-out form.

Registration fee /CZK
---------------------
                      Before June 1st    After June 1st   On site payment
                          2002               2002
Students                  4000               4400              4700
Regular participants      7000               7400              7700
Accompanying persons      4200               4600              4900

If you claim the reduced fee for students, please submit a copy of your
valid student identity card or its equivalent.

You can pay by bank cheque (drawn on Ceska sporitelna a.s. if possible),
money order, Eurocheque, and by bank transfer to

Recipient:           Spektroskopicka spolecnost Jana Marka Marci
                     Thakurova 7, 166 29 Praha 6,Czech Republic
Account Number:      1932010369/0800
Bank:                Ceska sporitelna a.s.
                     Vodickova 9, 110 00 Praha 1, Czech Republic.
SWIFT:               GIBACZPX
Purpose of Payment:  ConferenceFee-PH02/<participant name>

Cheques should be made payable to "Spektroskopicka spolecnost Jana
Marka Marci", however, they should be sent to

                   PRAHAO2 / S. Urban
                   J. Heyrovsky Institute of Physical Chemistry
                   Dolejskova 3, 182 23 Praha 8
                   Czech Republic

To the same address (PRAHA02..), please send all information regarding
payments by Eurocard/Mastercard or VISA.

Please, do not pay before sending the filled and signed registration form!!!

For administration of the bank card payments we need the card number,
name of the card holder and expiration date AS WELL AS the control code
(CVV2 for VISA or CVC2 for EC/MC) which are the last three digits from the
number printed on the signature strip on the reverse of the card.

In case the payment covers the costs of more than one participant,
please send us (for example by e-mail to [log in to unmask]) a complete
list of their names. Do not forget to mention the name of the participant
given under "Purpose of Payment" above.

You can cancel your registration up until August 1st, 2002. Your payment
will be refunded with a 600 CZK deduction for administration purposes.

Social program
--------------
During the conference there will be a reception, a concert followed by
a light snack, a sight-seeing trip, and excursions for accompanying persons.

3rd circular with meeting information
-------------------------------------
July 2002. This circular will give instructions for preparing the posters
and local travel directions.

WWW server
----------
The conference has a home page on the World Wide Web providing
up-to-date information. Start browsing at URL

     http://www.chem.uni-wuppertal.de/conference/

ftp server
----------
The conference has an ftp server at

      ftp.uni-wuppertal.de

Use "ftp" or "anonymous" as user id and enter your complete e-mail
address as password. The conference files are in the directory
pub/praha02.  The ASCII file read.me gives a list of the files available
at Wuppertal and describes their contents.

Preliminary program format
--------------------------

|       | Sunday    | Monday    | Tuesday   | Wednesday | Thursday |
|-------|-----------|-----------|-----------|-----------|----------|
| 09:00 | Opening   | Lectures  | Lectures  | Lectures  | Lectures |
|       | Lectures  |           |           |           |          |
|-------|-----------|-----------|-----------|-----------|----------|
| 10:30 | Posters   | Posters   | Posters   | Lectures  | Lectures |
|-------|-----------|-----------|-----------|-----------|----------|
| 12:00 |   Lunch   |   Lunch   |   Lunch   |   Lunch   |   Lunch  |
|-------|-----------|-----------|-----------|-----------|----------|
| 14:00 | Lectures  | Lectures  |    IMM    |           |          |
|-------|-----------|-----------|  SESSION  |   FREE    |          |
| 16:00 | Posters   | Posters   |           |           |          |
|-------|-----------|-----------|-----------|-----------|          |
| 18:00 | Dinner    | Dinner    | Reception | Dinner    |          |
|       |           |           |           | Concert   |          |
Per Jensen                                Room  : L 13.12
FB 9 - Theoretische Chemie                Phone : +49 202 439 2468
Bergische Universitaet Wuppertal          Fax   : +49 202 439 2509
D-42097 Wuppertal
Germany

E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
WWW   : http://www.chem.uni-wuppertal.de/adressen/jensen_new.shtml

Information about ``Computational Molecular Spectroscopy''
edited by PJ and Philip R. Bunker can be obtained from
http://www.chem.uni-wuppertal.de/cms/

Information about the second edition of ``Molecular Symmetry and Spectroscopy''
by Philip R. Bunker and PJ can be obtained from
http://www.monographs.nrc.ca/cgi-bin/cisti/journals/rp/rp2_book_e?mlist1_90