JiscMail Logo

Help for NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS Archives

NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS Archives

NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS Archives

NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS Home

NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS Home

NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS  2002

NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

FROM FASCISM TO JIHADISM

Peiser Benny <[log in to unmask]>

This is a multidisciplinary discussion group on natural hazards and disaste <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Apr 2002 18:12:57 +0100

text/plain

FROM FASCISM TO JIHADISM

The New Republic, 9 April 2002
http://www.thenewrepublic.com/doc.mhtml?i=express&s=mirsky041002

From Fascism to Jihadism
by Yehudah Mirsky

A vital region aflame and on the march. Unresolved disputes over old
imperial boundaries breeding terrible violence. A fanatical belief system
stitched together from religious traditions, romantic cults of violence, and
modern ideologies, then fanned by fire-breathing, charismatic leaders and
propped up by timid plutocrats terrified of the masses. Genuinely
well-intentioned progressives finding themselves the unwitting supporters of
murderous fanatics. America and the Jews savagely attacked as the hated
representatives of all that is wrong with the modern world.

No doubt about it, Europe was a frightening place in the 1930s and '40s.
Fascism and communism squeezed out the democrats and then turned on each
other; America and Britain, after early hesitations and defeats,
successfully stamped out the greater conflagration, whose ashes hardened
into the cold war. And while communism survived a few decades longer, it too
collapsed when internal contradictions and the containment of the West
became too much to bear. To be sure, history has never really ended in
Europe--just ask the Bosnians or Chechens. But its world-threatening systems
of conflict were ended and the ideologies that sustained them discredited.

Comparing now and then, uncanny similarities abound. And this, as the
Marxists used to say, is no accident. The new ideology of "jihadism"
consists, partly, of the detritus of the worst European ideologies.
Jihadism, like fascism and communism, has itself arisen in response to
powerful currents--of modernization then, and globalization now.

When I say "jihadism," I do not mean to denigrate the "jihad of the spirit,"
which is a profound concept in Islamic law and theology. And I'm not
calling, God forbid, for civilizational war. Rather, I mean to give a name
to a specific configuration of old beliefs and new ideologies arising in
today's Middle East--a configuration that is not without precedent. Indeed,
by glancing backward at the historical antecedents to our present
predicament, we can focus on our long-term policy objectives and devise the
best ways to achieve them.

Here, then, are some of the striking similarities:

Legitimate grievances left unanswered and protests deflected by cynical
elites. John Maynard Keynes rightly predicted the disasters of the punitive
peace of Versailles. The Russians and Slavs groaned first under the czars
and then the commissars--and, boy, were they angry. Since the end of the
Ottoman Empire, the people of the Middle East have largely been ruled by a
succession of autocrats who have delivered neither freedom nor prosperity
(the Gulf petrocracy aside) and have worked mightily to deflect their
peoples' understandable rage elsewhere. The Palestinians and their interests
have been cynically neglected by the Arab states, steadily sold out by their
leaders, and treated unjustly by Israel.

The growing pains of massive change. To put it mildly, modernization in
Europe involved unsettling economic, political, and social changes that,
scarcely contained by liberal institutions, engendered a fantastic backlash.
Today we see changes in the direction of economic, political, and social
integration on a global scale. They, too, are disturbing to many. And they
spur a return to older, familiar identities that have vanished, if indeed,
in their pristine forms, they ever even existed at all. The sharia society,
whose return political Islam demands, is as much a historical fiction as
were the primal forest of German Volkism and Marx's happily unalienated
medieval craftsmen. All are romantic answers to very concrete problems, and
all have proven deadly when taken seriously.

Blame it on America. And not without reason, as from its founding, America
has been both the engine and exemplar of modernity. In Weimar, the late
historian Detlev Peukert showed, the euphemism for "modernity" was
"Americanism." The more things change....

And on You Know Who. There has been an astounding and historically
unprecedented adoption of Nazi-like anti-Semitism not only by Arab masses,
but also Arab governments, including our ostensible ally, Egypt. This
results not only from the fact that the material is out there, and not only
because "the enemy (Hitler) of my enemy (Jews) is my friend," but also
because, then and now, Jews both exemplify and champion the Western
political and socio-economic order that has given them enormous freedoms and
opportunities--all while clinging to a particular and demanding ethnic
identity. The dynamic tension that poises them on the cusp of local and
global, old and new, is in no small part what makes Jews interesting and,
for people whose own sense of identity is deeply threatened, maddening to
watch. Moreover, while Israel is not a colonialist state, its founders made
whatever use they could of the configurations of colonial power. Today, it
stands as a reminder of the European map-drawing that created nearly every
Middle Eastern border. Worst of all, it's an achievement by the people who
used to be pathetic outcasts. (As one Yale-educated Saudi put it to me: "The
State of Israel is the living embodiment of the castration of Islam and that
is why it must be destroyed. To be defeated by America is one thing, but by
Jews?")

Liberal ideas turned to illiberal ends. Fascism turned nationalism from a
nineteenth-century progressive cause into a twentieth-century anathema.
Communism cannibalized social democracy and progressive politics, then made
the United Nations an arena for war by other means. In the same way today,
tyrannical regimes who could not care less about freedom have appropriated
the legitimate criticisms of colonialism and globalism to serve their own
nefarious ends. Last summer's U.N.-sponsored Durban conference on racism,
with its politely understated "death to the Jews" motif, turns out to have
been the canary in the mineshaft.

Communications technologies pressed into the service of hatred. Goebbels and
Leni Riefenstahl adroitly deployed films and other mass media to spread
their agendas, flooding their worlds with images and ideas from the
Protocols of the Elders of Zion, while suppressing the culture of free
inquiry that created media technologies. Today's jihadists have seized on
the Internet, which was supposed to break down boundaries and create a
global community, in order to spread, well, images and ideas from the
Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

Charismatic demagogue outsiders. Hitler the Austrian, Lenin the urban
intellectual, Stalin the Georgian, bin Laden the millionaire brigand chief,
Saddam the Tikriti secularist, the Alawite Asad, Arafat the Egyptian
engineer. These products of self-invention all embodied abstract fantasies
in ways that authentic members of their societies never could, infecting
their respective polities with their own alienation and bloodlust.

Egged on by flaccid, underemployed, bourgeois intellectuals. Just as fascist
("Fascism is a philosophical movement," Mussolini announced on the first
page of his autobiography) and communist ideology were the products of
displaced intellectuals who found themselves without a place in the emerging
liberal capitalist order, so, too, have anti-Western and anti-Semitic
ideologies captivated thousands of underemployed and, in the information
age, regularly unemployable intellectuals who graduated from Arab
universities into stagnant economies and polities.

Abetted by "useful idiots" in the West. Would, for instance, the 30 peace
activists who walked past Israeli soldiers to show their solidarity with
Arafat honestly want to live for a moment in the kind of police state he has
created in the territories he controls? Then, as now, for so many people and
for many good reasons, the humanitarian mindset, which requires and fosters
a belief in human benevolence, has a hard time swallowing the reality of
genuinely malevolent people. Better always to criticize one's own, if only
to hold onto a sense of agency and hope.

Leading to a suicidal cult of redemptive millennial violence. An ideology of
hatred that forecloses meaningful policy options, based on romantic flights
from reality into fantasies of self-glorification, sends droves of young
people to their deaths--at the behest of cynical leaders never asked to bear
the costs of suffering themselves.

Threatening the fabric of civilization. Can anyone seriously doubt that
Hitler would have used nuclear weapons if he could have? Or that bin Laden
and Arafat would if they could? Or that Stalin was deterred by anything
other than deterrence? Or that, as Thomas Friedman has argued, if suicide
bombing proves successful in Israel, it will revisit America and spread to
Europe, the subcontinent, and Lord knows where else?

So how can understanding these parallels help us forge a successful policy
in the Middle East? To begin with, while it is episodes of terror that have
focused our attention on jihadism, it is not an episodic phenomenon. The
Arab Middle East has brought forth a movement whose full-fledged worldview
seeks the destruction of Western society, beginning with its foremost
representative in the Middle East. The fact that this worldview draws much
of its rhetoric and symbolism from a hallowed religious tradition--and that
it has numerous points of contact with legitimate concerns and
grievances--is what makes it more than mere crime and gives it traction, and
even suasion, in broader communities.

The grievances and discontents of the Arab Middle East are real; the
poverty, autocracy, and stagnation that have made bin Laden a hero must be
met, eventually, with real solutions, including political and economic
reform that marry the imperatives of globalization to profound human needs
for a human scale of change. Many otherwise well-meaning people around the
world, we have learned since September 11, are prepared to think the worst
of us. We need to come to terms with why that it is and what we ourselves
may be doing to encourage them.

But first things first. Nazi Germany then, and more recently the former
Soviet Union, eventually joined the family of nations--but only after they
were decisively defeated. Denazification could only happen once the Nazis
were gone. That victory and our victory in the cold war were made possible
not only by the hard stuff of military and economic strength, but by what
Joseph Nye has helpfully termed "soft power"--the attractiveness of liberal
and democratic societies and the opportunities they present for human
flourishing, which first effectively mobilized us against the Nazis;
sustained people like Havel, Sakharov, and Sharansky behind the Iron
Curtain; and, in the end, brought that curtain down. The struggle with
jihadism paradoxically affords us a chance to reaffirm our own core values.
Just as World War II gave birth to the human rights movement, and the cold
war gave impetus to the American civil rights movement--yielding a more just
society at home and a greater respect for democratic values abroad--so, too,
this struggle, if waged wisely, can not only save us, but help make the
globalizing community a better, if sadder and wiser, place.

Yehudah Mirsky served in the U.S. State Department's human rights bureau
from 1994-97 and is currently a Javits Fellow at Harvard.

Copyright 2002, The New Republic