MINING-HISTORY 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Mining Archaeology

"Thompson, Woodrow B." <[log in to unmask]>

The mining-history list.

Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:29:43 -0500

text/plain

More thoughts from Maine:

Regardless of how we tackle the many problems raised in these worthy
discussions, I see one fundamental difference between mines and caves.
Caves are works of nature, and I would guess that most of us want to
preserve cave features such as stalactites from being defaced by vandals.

Mines and quarries, on the other hand, have all been excavated by humans
seeking mineral wealth and profit.  The miners of the 1700's and 1800's
doubtless erased some of the old surface and shallow underground workings
from earlier centuries. Modern open-pit operations, in their turn, have
wiped out some those cherished mine sites from the early industrial era.
When and where do we draw the line and try to "freeze" what remains for all
future generations?  There are so many interests at work here, that I doubt
a general consensus will be reached any time soon.  For starters, the
competing groups need to be more clearly defined, followed by attempts to
establish some general land-use principles that most people can agree on,
and finally help set priorities on a site-by-site basis. I guess that's all
pretty obvious, but it's easy to lose sight of the big picture when
discussion gets too narrrowly focused on particular case histories.
        My view of the UK situation is clouded by distance, but it sounds
like NAMHO is a worthy umbrella organization that can negotiate with the
full range of concerned parties in the mining field, and they are already
working on it.  It seems to me that most mine sites are unique, and each
needs to be considered individually in terms of local history and
geological/mineralogical importance, and then decide whether they should be
kept as-is, restored to former glory, reclaimed in cases of genuine hazards,
and/or kept open for some degree of public mineral collecting or the
possibility commercial mineral extraction in the future.

Woody Thompson
Maine Geological Survey