ENGLIT-VICTORIAN  2002

ENGLIT-VICTORIAN 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Fwd: VICTORIA Digest - 11 Nov 2002 to 12 Nov 2002 (#2002-311)

Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:37:27 +0000

text/plain

----- Forwarded message from Automatic digest processor
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 00:00:45 -0500
From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: VICTORIA Digest - 11 Nov 2002 to 12 Nov 2002 (#2002-311)
To: Recipients of VICTORIA digests <[log in to unmask]>

Topics of the day:

  1. 'French novels' in the 1880s
  2. aunt judy's magazine
  3. 'a double-faced merchant prince Paul' (2)
  4. favourite Vanity Fair articles? (2)
  5. Clutter (4)
  6. Cluttered desks
  7. re clutter
  8. clutter
  9. scenes of reading Scott (8)
 10. Illustrated Police News (2)
 11. Illustrated Police news
 12. Stevenson--Thanks
 13. Scenes of Reading Scott
 14. J.S. Mill on Plato

Date:    Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:20:26 -0000
From:    Julie Peakman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: 'French novels' in the 1880s

Jad Adams writes:

I know the original query was about French novels in the 1880s but it may be
of interest that within four years of Vizetelly's imprisonment (after his
second trial) for publishing Zola's work, the Lutetian Society was set up to
translate and publish foreign works.

Several notable 'men of the nineties' were active in translating Zola:
Teixeira de Mattos, leading figure of the Lutetian Society, translated
Pot-Bouille; Arthur Symons L'Assomoir; Ernest Dowson La Terre and Victor
Plarr Nana.

The ruse to avoid prosecution (apart from toning down some of the more
'obscene' passages) was to sell at two guineas per book, so only the upper
class could purchase them, and the society could not be accused of
corrupting 'public' morals, unlike Vizetelly who sold his books at six
shillings with illustations and five without.

The society was not prosecuted, but neither was it profitable.  The 300
copies of Dowson's La Terre, for example, were not all sold.

Jad Adams