VICTORIA Digest - 2 Oct 2002 to 3 Oct 2002 (#2002-272) (fwd)

Jane Ennis <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:11:45 +0100

text/plain

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: 04 October 2002 00:00 -0500
From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
To: Recipients of VICTORIA digests <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: VICTORIA Digest - 2 Oct 2002 to 3 Oct 2002 (#2002-272)

Topics of the day:

  1. Literary Approaches to Poverty (8)
  2. Re.: Books on Florence by British Tourists 1900
  3. Renaming Thackery (was
  4. Renaming Thackery
  5. Thanks for your help!
  6. Drawing Room Versifiers
  7. The Asylum and Mental Illness
  8. Individual perception v. anthological consensus
  9. Help in identifying lines
 10. Grill Park Road/dubious "hotel"
 11. Asylums
 12. call for papers - photography
 13. Literary approaches to poverty (2)
 14. Arthur Morrison Texts

Date:    Thu, 3 Oct 2002 16:19:20 +1000
From:    Ellen Jordan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Literary Approaches to Poverty

If you want to take a broad sweep of literary approaches to poverty, you
really should include some of the "waif" literature published by the
Religious Tract Society and the SPCK. I shouldn't think any of it is in
print but it might be possible to photocopy parts of, for example, Hesba
Stretton's Jessica's First Prayer, or Froggy's Little Brother by "Brenda".
And if you are interested in rural poverty, you could look at some of
Charlotte Yonge's Langley School stories, republished as Charlotte Yonge,
Village Children. Collected and edited by Gillian Avery. London: Victor
Gollancz, 1967.

Has anyone yet suggested Kipling's "Badalia Herodsfoot"?

Ellen Jordan
University of Newcastle
Australia