ENGLIT-VICTORIAN  2002

ENGLIT-VICTORIAN 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Fwd: VICTORIA Digest - 22 Sep 2002 to 23 Sep 2002 (#2002-262)

Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:48:05 +0100

text/plain

----- Forwarded message from Automatic digest processor
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 00:01:03 -0500
From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: VICTORIA Digest - 22 Sep 2002 to 23 Sep 2002 (#2002-262)
To: Recipients of VICTORIA digests <[log in to unmask]>

Topics of the day:

  1. Indian mutiny (2)
  2. review of book on Reform Act of 1867
  3. Victorian Review latest issue
  4. Victorian Literature and Culture 30.2
  5. Breeching
  6. quotation query (2)

Date:    Mon, 23 Sep 2002 09:56:11 EDT
From:    Judith Flanders <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Indian mutiny

I was watching the television version of Zadie Smith's White Teeth the other
day, and noticed that the name of the Indian mutineer has been changed from
Mangal Pande to Bahadur Khan. Can anyone throw light onto the change? Smith
has Pande as the first sepoy to revolt, which seems to be generally accepted,
but the only Bahadur Khan I've been able to locate is either a contemporary
sitar player, or a 17th century ruler of Turkmenistan. Neither seems terribly
useful.
Best
Judith Flanders