VICTORIA Digest - 15 Jul 2002 to 16 Jul 2002 (#2002-196) (fwd)

Jane Ennis <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Jul 2002 12:58:17 +0100

text/plain

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: 17 July 2002 00:00 -0500
From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
To: Recipients of VICTORIA digests <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: VICTORIA Digest - 15 Jul 2002 to 16 Jul 2002 (#2002-196)

Topics of the day:

  1. Bessie Parkes's Surrey wastrels
  2. Dickens (2)
  3. Question about Grand Essay (2)
  4. Bessie Parkes' Surrey wastrels
  5. query:  novels about London (6)
  6. query: novels about London
  7. George Eliot on homosexuality
  8. Announcing a Victorian Exhibition
  9. Seaside Hotels
 10. Fishwoman a triangle

Date:    Tue, 16 Jul 2002 08:22:07 +0100
From:    Chris Willis <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Bessie Parkes's Surrey wastrels

Hi!

Could she be talking about transportation?  This would fit in with
"compassionate justice" as there were apparently cases where the death
penalty was commuted to transportation (which I think ended in the 1850s,
though I could be wrong - I don't have the details to hand)

All the best
Chris
Chris Willis - London Guildhall University
http://www.chriswillis.freeserve.co.uk/

"Every gun that is fired, every warship launched, every rocket fired
signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not
fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. The world in arms is not
spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius
of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1953