VICTORIA Digest - 13 Mar 2002 to 14 Mar 2002 (#2002-74) (fwd)

Jane Ennis <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Mar 2002 15:47:08 -0000

text/plain

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: 15 March 2002 00:00 -0500
From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
To: Recipients of VICTORIA digests <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: VICTORIA Digest - 13 Mar 2002 to 14 Mar 2002 (#2002-74)

Topics of the day:

  1. Children's Literature (7)
  2. railways and children's literature
  3. Children's Literature and railways (2)
  4. Obituary: Chris Brooks of the Victorian Society
  5. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Private=20press?=
  6. pronunciation question
  7. More mohawkiana (2)
  8. children's literature and railways
  9. private press & children's lit.

Date:    Thu, 14 Mar 2002 20:20:19 +1000
From:    Kathleen Jennings <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Children's Literature

Hello.
I'm looking for two things, can anyone help me?
First: Does anyone know of good resources for the influence of railway =
on culture esp. literature? I know this is broad, but if someone does =
know a particularly pertinent book/site etc, it would be nice!
Second: I'm looking for children's literature which refers to the =
railway. Obviously I am primarily interested in the Victorian literature =
and the early influence of the railways, but I'm also looking at later =
writings. For example, not only books about the railways (The Railway =
Children springs to mind) but others which contain references to them. =
There is a beautiful discussion of the influence of railways on the =
holidays of school children in the early chapters of Tom Brown's =
Schooldays, and the brief references to railway journeys in Enid =
Blyton's boarding school stories (slightly later era) can also be =
illuminating. So if anyone knows of books with trains in them, I'd love =
to know.
Regards to all,
Kathleen.

Tenet insanibile multos scribendi cacoethes.
                                            - Horace.
Kathleen Jennings

------------------------------

In Marshall Saunders's Beautiful Joe, Ch. xv, "Our
Journey to Riverdale," Joe is involved in a railway
accident, and is left alone in the dark a long time
before he is rescued.  (He's ok.)  Of course, Joe is a
dog, not a child, but there are connections, surely!

Deborah Denenholz Morse
The College of William and Mary

> Kathleen Jennings

    Charles Dicken's special Christmas Number -- Mugby Junction -- comes to
mind. Intended for all ages, certainly, but also very railway oriented.
Slightly out of period are the railway episodes in "The Wind in the
Willows."

Hugh MacDougall