VICTORIA Digest - 7 Mar 2002 to 8 Mar 2002 (#2002-68) (fwd)

Jane Ennis <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Mar 2002 15:41:32 -0000

text/plain

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: 09 March 2002 00:00 -0500
From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
To: Recipients of VICTORIA digests <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: VICTORIA Digest - 7 Mar 2002 to 8 Mar 2002 (#2002-68)

Topics of the day:

  1. Fred Burnaby (was Blunt/Ouida (2)
  2. Deadline extended: NEH Summer Seminar, "The Reform of Reason"
  3. William John Bankes (3)
  4. Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine (2)
  5. DORIAN GRAY and Social Class Issues
  6. Introduction+Social env/illness
  7. Social environment and illness
  8. gratitude from coast to coast
  9. Sensation Fiction Course (4)
 10. Victorian divorce (thanks)

Date:    Fri, 8 Mar 2002 03:55:37 EST
From:    Judith Flanders <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Fred Burnaby (was Blunt/Ouida

Thanks for your responses. When I mentioned the post to a friend last night
he added that Burnaby was known to be able to hold a billiard cue level by
the tip, extended, with a straight arm. (Apparently this takes enormous
strength. I took his word for it!)
However, I did make one horrible mistake on the post, which I must correct
here. The Tissot portrait of Burnaby is in the National Portrait Gallery
(London), on display. It can be found on their website, www.npg.org.uk. The
link to the page is
http://www.npg.org.uk/live/search/person.asp?search=ss&sText=Frederick+Burn
aby