VICTORIA Digest - 26 Nov 2002 to 27 Nov 2002 (#2002-326) (fwd)

Jane Ennis <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:17:39 -0000

text/plain

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: 28 November 2002 00:00 -0500
From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
To: Recipients of VICTORIA digests <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: VICTORIA Digest - 26 Nov 2002 to 27 Nov 2002 (#2002-326)

Topics of the day:

  1. Sane and Insane
  2. Sane and Insane - Victorian asylums (10)
  3. Lily Maxwell
  4. Orphanages (2)
  5. Final words on 4/9d hat (3)
  6. Not So Bad as We Seem
  7. CFP: Victorian Sexualities (Jan 31 2002; April 26 2003)
  8. Illegitimate Daughters
  9. how to find prayers

Date:    Wed, 27 Nov 2002 04:06:15 EST
From:    Judith Flanders <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Sane and Insane

[log in to unmask] writes:

> It may interest listmembers to hear that I have been told that Colney
> Hatch, the former Middlesex County Lunatic Asylum, has apparently
> been converted into residential units.  Could this be a trend?  I
> would love to hear from anyone with photos of Colney Hatch in its
> present state, or -- better yet -- anyone *living* there.

It certainly is a trend: I have friends who live in a converted asylum just
outside Guildford, in Surrey: can it have been called Brookwood? I'm afraid
I can't remember. But I have emailed them to find out the name, and if they
are agreeable, I will put you in touch.
Previously, they lived in a converted convent: a good indication of the
rising tide of residential conversions from Victorian institutions of one
sort or another.
Best
Judith Flanders