VICTORIA Digest - 3 Dec 2002 to 4 Dec 2002 (#2002-333) (fwd)

Jane Ennis <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Dec 2002 16:10:10 -0000

text/plain

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: 05 December 2002 00:00 -0500
From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
To: Recipients of VICTORIA digests <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: VICTORIA Digest - 3 Dec 2002 to 4 Dec 2002 (#2002-333)

Topics of the day:

  1. Nothing (2)
  2. Query:  Wildean quote?
  3. Egyptian cigars
  4. Not So Bad as We Seem
  5. Bloom on Ruskin, Pater, and Stevens
  6. Teaching 19C Popular culture
  7. lotteries
  8. An obscure Victorian woman...

Date:    Wed, 4 Dec 2002 07:46:55 -0500
From:    herbert tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Nothing

-------------------
> I can think of a number of 19th century poems that play with
subjectivity
> in similar ways (several by Hardy, for example), but the obvious
prose
> passage for me would be from Pater's "Conclusion" (to The
> Renaissance).  The second paragraph especially, but you may need
the first
> to give it some context.

This from Jack Kolb was my first nomination too, for (what proves
pretty rare in Victorian prose, the poetry being another matter) its
quality of Stevens-like bemusement.  An ascesis virtually scientific,
as I like to think Pater would have liked to think, which then puts
me in mind of the final paragraph of Darwin's *Origin of Species*,
which might nicely complement "The Snow Man."  The proposed Carlyle
and Ruskin passages -- also the stunning survey of secular
meaninglessness that fills a paragraph or two near the start of the
final chapter of Newman's *Apologia* -- are appalled, all right, but
in the earnest not the numbed sense.

Herbert Tucker