VICTORIA Digest - 18 Feb 2002 to 19 Feb 2002 (#2002-51) (fwd)

Jane Ennis <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 20 Feb 2002 18:41:20 -0000

text/plain

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: 20 February 2002 00:00 -0500
From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
To: Recipients of VICTORIA digests <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: VICTORIA Digest - 18 Feb 2002 to 19 Feb 2002 (#2002-51)

Topics of the day:

  1. Animal Magnetism (7)
  2. Animal magnetism
  3. Great Expectations
  4. 1891 Census on CDs
  5. gender theory--query (2)
  6. Introduction
  7. Victorian Cities (2)

Date:    Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:01:41 GMT
From:    Martin Willis <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Animal Magnetism

Andy
Animal magnetism was one of the alternative names for
mesmerism: a technique of trance-induced healing (often but not
always incorporating electrical shocks in some way). Franz Anton
Mesmer is acknowledged as the founder of this medical treatment
in the late 18 century. It became an important form of knowledge
in the early to mid 19c in Britain (see Alison Winter's excellent
study Mesmerized) before being assimilated into the more
conservative traditions of the medical fraternity as hypnotism by
the time Hardy was at his peak (look up James Braid for more on
this).
Best wishes,

Martin Willis
Dept. of English