ECPR/Politics and Memory Workshop

TF Carver <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:43:32 +0000

TEXT/PLAIN

Heino needs more offers of papers for his workshop!  Terrell

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:14:42 +0100
From: "[ISO-8859-1] Heino Nyyssönen" <[log in to unmask]>

ESPECIALLY WANTED PAPERS DEALING WITH CENTRAL
AND EASTERN EUROPE !

Call for Papers: Workshop Politics and Memory

The European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR) will be hosted by the
University of Edinburgh, 28th March – 2nd April, 2003. Our Workshop in
Edinburgh deals with Politics and Memory (see below).

We welcome theoretical and empirical approaches, case studies, historical
and comparative papers dealing with memory as a political phenomenon.
Especially we are interested in papers focusing on Central and the former
Eastern Europe.

Send your abstract (max. 1 page) until December 1 either to Heino Nyyssönen
or Wolf-Dieter Narr. See further information on ECPR web pages
http://www.ecprnet.org

Workshop Number 16: Politics and Memory

Directors:
Heino Nyyssönen, Department of  Social Sciences and Philosophy, University
of Jyväskylä,
P.O. Box 35, FIN-40351 JYVÄSKYLÄ, Finland
Tel/Fax: +(36) 1 395 2069
Email: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]

Wolf-Dieter Narr, Fachbereich Politische Wissenschaft, Freie Universität
Berlin, Potsdamer Strasse 41, D-12205 Berlin, Germany
Tel//fax +(49) 30 833 7162
Email: [log in to unmask]

The world is full of memorials, statues and national holidays, which remind
people of their past. At the same time there is also the idea that we
forget
the past. Who wishes to remember and who to forget?  Which political acts
serve as commemorations and what do they mean to various communities?  The
workshop will deal with memory as political process. How do we determine
what should be commemorated? How is this effected? We welcome theoretical
and empirical approaches, case studies, historical and comparative papers
dealing with memory as a political phenomenon and especially relating to
one
of the following topics.   1) History politics (Geschichtspolitik) and
history in the present., 2) Politics of names:. What  kinds of name are
politically significant objects? 3) Politics of memorials and statues. What
is to be commemorated, why and how?  4) Politics of dates: How far and in
which form are dates "commemorable" ?  5) Rhythms of politics of
commemorations. 6) Politics of memoirs and biographies.

Heino Nyyssönen
Political Scientist, Ph.D
Finnish Academy of Sciences
tel. & fax. +36-1-3952069 (Home)