DRAWING-RESEARCH  2002

DRAWING-RESEARCH 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Design: Pre-development, sketching and the negotiation of meaning .

"S.W.Garner" <[log in to unmask]>

The UK drawing research network mailing list <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 Oct 2002 12:36:55 +0100

text/plain

Drawing researchers, please find below a posting from another JISCmail list
(phd-design) that I received today.  Since it reflects at length on
sketching I asked the author if I could re-post it on our drawing-research
list.  The author, Chris Heape, has now joined 'drawing-research' so will be
able to see and respond to any questions or observations you may have.
It's a long posting.  It opens with responses to emails which have appeared
on the phd-design list concerning design practice and design research.
Since these partly set the scene I have left them in but you may prefer to
scroll down directly to the sub-heading 'Design: Pre-development, sketching
and the negotiation of meaning' (about one third the way down).
Steve Garner.

08 10 02
Hello all,

I am a relatively new member to this list (phd-design) and have kept to the
sideline and listened to the diversity of opinion. So this is very much a
tentative "dipping of the toe in the water".

I was not at the Common Ground conference, but there have been several
comments in the past weeks which strike me as having some kind of
connection.

Introduction:
By way of introduction I would like to touch on Lorraine Justice's point:
Date:    Mon, 30 Sep 2002
From:    Lorraine Justice, Ph.D., FIDSA
Director, Industrial Design

"I am also concerned that many practicing designers may not feel so
comfortable on this list because of the types of discussion. Many
practicing designers who have been successful for years have not been
introduced to many of the topics we discuss, and it certainly was not a
part of their general education".

My background is essentially practice oriented, yet I am now fully involved
in design research, principally design teaching.
My way into industrial design was via a fine arts degree at art school in
England, cabinet making, graphic design and eventually an industrial design
degree here in Denmark.
So very hands on, very visual and very artifact oriented. Quite typical I
think of art and design trainings of the 70's
Thereafter I was principally a self employed designer, involved with
business to business solutions for large production companies in scandinavia
and europe - hard core high tech products and software interface design. My
approach has alway been user oriented, although the users in this case were
mostly technicians, installers and service personnel. Parallel to this, I
have been teaching design students.

With regard to design research, I found it very difficult to relate the
research to practice. Unfortunately, looking back, I see I had a very
prejudiced and narrow minded attitude to design research. If it wasn't
practically oriented, then it was of no use to me. I had a negative attitude
to, what I thought as, design academicism. Not very constructive!

It was not until I was employed  on the design team at a large production
company in southern Denmark, that I met up with the practice of Action
Research. Here I found, albeit under protest at first, a means of
integrating design practice and research. This was very user oriented and
collaborative by nature, encouraging the involvement of the other team
players in the designing of the products. It involved the extensive use of
video and very "loosely defined" 3d sketches, or visual thinking tools, to
enable users and others to act out the way they either worked in an
industrial environment or could imagine the use of a future product.

Design research became, for me, the natural extension of a reflective design
practice.

An encouragement to write on my teaching techniques, coupled with my general
concern with the state of design teaching, as I see it, has led me to my
current position.  I am principally involved in finding new ways of helping
the students to realise the full potential of their personal ressources and
help equip them to be able to engage those ressources in a collaborative
design environment.

Suffice it to say, I've left my former prejudice to design research on the
shelf. I enjoy the diversity of opinion and approach and just leave what I
can't relate to, on the side. But often as not, what I don't understand,
often leads to my investigating and discovering new areas of interest.

To the point:
Returning to remarks made on the list over the last weeks, I would like to
refer to:

Date:    Mon, 30 Sep 2002

"...the majority of American schools of design as well as the reigning
attitude in some professional design practice, most of which can be traced
directly back to the art-based design education of the last fifty years or
so.

The so-called 'shop' is a good case in point. Most US and Canadian design
schools all have 'shops' of one kind or another, full of machinery of one
kind or another. And students retreat there to make 'models,' another
19th-century concept.

Jacques Giard, PhD
Professor and Director
School of Design
College of Architecture and Environmental Design
Arizona State University

From: David Durling
Friday, 20 September 2002

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:51:45 +0100 Kristina Niedderer