DIS-FORUM  2002

DIS-FORUM 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Essential texts - copyright. Your students needyouremails!

Ian Litterick <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.

Thu, 1 Aug 2002 21:13:37 +0100

text/plain

Judith

I am again forwarding your comments to DIS-FORUM.

I take your point that the directive only permits member States to take
action, but does not compel them, and that the clause I quote is part of
the recitals not the directive. And I also take your point that any
amendment is likely to mean failure of the bill for want of further time
in the Commons.

I'm sure that you are right that the RNIB would be upset to lose the
Bill. Politically it would be sad for the dyslexia and VI worlds to fall
out. We need to cooperate on Reading Impairment issues now that the DDA
gives a helpful context: for example we need web accessibility
guidelines which cover both sets of needs rather than separate documents
which the poor reader has to try to synthesise. We should be cooperating
on copyright exceptions. We should both be working for the availability
of digital formats: it is ridiculous that we should be fighting for the
right for reading impaired people laboriously to manipulate printed
texts into an accessible format when electronic distribution would be a
hundred times easier and more satisfactory.

But if we are not going to attempt to jeopardise the bill, it is all the
more important to lobby the government to take early action to correct
the discrimination in another, fuller bill, covering electronic
distribution as well as access to the printed version. Otherwise the
anomaly will go on for a long time and we shall, I'm afraid, have no
option but to continue to aid and abet copyright infringement.

Regards
Ian Litterick