VICTORIA Digest - 1 Jul 2002 to 2 Jul 2002 (#2002-182) (fwd)

Jane Ennis <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Jul 2002 18:50:53 +0100

text/plain

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: 03 July 2002 00:00 -0500
From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
To: Recipients of VICTORIA digests <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: VICTORIA Digest - 1 Jul 2002 to 2 Jul 2002 (#2002-182)

Topics of the day:

  1. Unconsummated marriages in fiction (3)
  2. Unconsummated Marriages in Fiction
  3. unconsummated marriages
  4. Mrs henry wood
  5. c.19 fantasy (5)
  6. The expense of oranges (3)
  7. Subject: Unconsummated marriages in fiction
  8. Women and wills (6)
  9. Unconsummated marriages in fiction/'weak heart'
 10. General Elections (4)
 11. Nursery Alice--illustrations (2)
 12. Thanks for "Odours of the insane" replies
 13. Mrs. Henry Wood
 14. Nineteenth Century Fantasy Fiction
 15. Nineteenth century fantasy fiction
 16. archy meets victoria
 17. Louis Jourdan's Dracula

Date:    Tue, 2 Jul 2002 01:36:57 EDT
From:    [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Unconsummated marriages in fiction

In a message dated 7/1/2002 10:14:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Judy Geater <
[log in to unmask]> writes:

> After this subject came up on another list, I'd like to ask if anybody has
> come across examples of unconsummated marriages in Victorian fiction, or
> maybe also in slightly later novels. One example I thought of was Antonia
> White's autobiographical novel 'The Sugar House', but this was written at
> a much later date in the early 1950s.
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I've come across a number of marriages in fiction in which the wife was
physically handicapped, or an invalid in some way, and it appears that she
was not expected to have children. I should think this implied an
unconsummated marriage, but who knows? The author Juliana Ewing, who was
very much in love with her husband, didn't seem to expect to have any
children either, from the letters I have seen ... but that is a matter of
general impressions, which could be swept away in a moment by one bit of
hard evidence if there were any.

The examples I can think of at the moment are Ermine in _The Clever Woman of
the Family_, and a minor character, the clergyman's wife, ummmm, Mrs.
Dusautoy, I think, in _The Young Step-Mother_, both by Charlotte Yonge.

Oh, and in Yonge's _The Three Brides_, a good deal is made of Cecil
Charnock's having been married too young, and having a cold relationship
with her husband ... that marriage is childless, though her second
marriage, if I recall correctly, is not. (She thinks at one point, when her
husband's niece is born, that it does not matter that she has not had a
baby yet, she can afford to wait for an heir.) But of course there is no
proof.

Helen Schinske