JiscMail Logo

Help for COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Home

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE Home

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE  2002

COMPLEXITY-PRIMARY-CARE 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: queue theory

"Frank Smits (Symphoenix Ltd)" <[log in to unmask]>

Complexity and chaos theories applied to primary medical and social care <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 16 Sep 2002 08:20:59 +0100

text/plain

Hi Chris and all,

I have followed this conversation with interest.
As someone with a complexity background (not a 'health care' background
as such) I would like to contribute my penny's worth.

It certainly is useful to look at human organisations and the symptoms
of their issues (like 'waiting lists') as complex adaptive systems
(CAS). But, I would always see this as a metaphor for what they are.
They never ARE a CAS. They may, when one looks at it in certain ways
LOOK LIKE a CAS.

It seems to me that there is a great risk in saying that organisations
(and their issues) ARE complex adaptive systems. They are not. They are,
well, human organisations. This is not a very helpful answer I must
admit. But, by treating them as id they ARE a CAS and then draw
parallels from other CAS so that 'if they are a CAS then (a) or (b) or
(c) must be true takes it to far for me.

Human organisations (I carefully avoid the word 'system') certainly
display complex behaviour. After all, they do emerge out of many. Many
interactions between people. I would NOT dare to say all these people
are 'autonomous agents'. Of course they are not. We all know that some
people are more 'autonomous' than others. This is not the case for the
origins of CAS-theory from molecules, atoms and the like.
Therefore one has to be careful to take the metaphor too far (as with
any metaphor).

What I think is very important, Chris, in what you mention is the idea
of 'equilibrium'. For biologist 'equilibrium' is death.
One cannot ever treat any of the symptoms of human organisations (like
waiting lists) as if they were at some equilibrium. Because of the
dynamics in the organisation the whole is most likely to even function
FAR FROM EQUILIBRIUM.

So how can we then see the apparent 'stability'? Well perhaps the way to
describe this is as a 'dynamic stability'. This is an inherent paradox,
but that is just what the complexity sciences help us understand!

The way I would like to look at those things is as 'patterns' that
emerge out of all the interactions of all the agents in the
organisation. Not just the people, but also the resources that
'energise' the emergent patterns (like lack of money, for instance).
If we can study the patterns and the self-organising forces that allow
them to emerge we may learn a lot about the dynamics and where we can
and where we can't influence those forces.

Asking, therefore, how we can 'control the equilibrium' to me does not
seem like a proper question, since both the 'equilibrium' (as you say
Chris) and the 'control' are properties I woukd not describe to the
organisation.

What one CAN try to do is look at the emerging patterns, what may
energise them and see how we may be able to influence them. I would
argue (without having done the analysis) that much of the forces are
energise by our own choices!

I hope to see you all in Exeter!

Regards,

Frank Smits