Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

E-newsletter

UKplayworkers <[log in to unmask]>

A UK discussion list for early childhood academics and practitioners." <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 5 Jun 2001 21:07:48 +0100

text/plain

The Virtual Community for Playworkers

UKplayworkers

E-newsletter 9

5th June 2001

Hello and welcome back to the UKplayworkers E-newsletter.

This new look newsletter is the first issue following my computer problems,
which I hope I have finally managed to sort out. I would like to apologise
for any inconvenience that may have been caused by the three-month delay in
the production of the UKplayworkers E-newsletter.

In this issue you will find:

1. Member's Requests.
2. National Day Care Standards
3. The Nicola Canning Column!
4. NVQ Conference
5. Play Therapy Workshops
6. Play for Awards
7. Editorial
8. Bibliography

In this issue we are again celebrating the success of the UKplayworkers
Virtual Community. Since the launch of this newsletter in September 1999,
membership of the community has grown four fold.

Please feel free to print this E-newsletter, and distribute amongst your
work colleagues and friends, also feel free to forward this E-newsletter to
other people who may be interested.

If you do forward it to people who may be interested why not encourage them
to join UKplayworkers, they can do so by visiting
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UKplayworkers

Do you like the new look of this newsletter? Is it Pukka or Pants? Please
e-mail me at [log in to unmask] with your feedback, on this
newsletter.

Any feedback or items for inclusion need to reach me by Friday 6th July
2001. Issue 10 will be published on the 10th July 2001.

We now have regular contributions from Nicola Canning - about Play in
Wales - her column is very interesting.

I am still looking for people to write regular articles about Play in
Scotland, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Articles about Pre-School Play - if
you would be interested in helping out with any of these please e-mail me at
[log in to unmask] Thanks.

Recently eGroups.com were taken over by Yahoo! This means that UKplayworkers
is now part of the massive Yahoo! empire.

The UKplayworkers e-mail address is now [log in to unmask] please
make sure you use this address instead of the old Onelist.com or eGroups.com
addresses.

 Members Requests

I am currently building a web site for Merthyr Tydfil Play Forum.  On this
site is a games and craft 'bank' for any one to download and use for
themselves.  It contains ideas for crafts and any games but does not,
currently, contain many ideas If anyone would like to submit ideas,
preferably in 'word' format, please send them to:
[log in to unmask] credit to you or your provision will be
included, so please give details.  The Play Forum's web site is at:
www.geocities.com/merthyrtydfilplayfoum

Many thanks

Play Forum Admin. Support

Hello

I'm looking to produce a book about "Traditional Street & Playground Games"
and a book about "Team Games" - which will be useful for people who work
with children - I know that there are many different books I can use to help
me with me research - but what I am interested in is YOUR personal memories
of games that you played as children, where you lived, in and which decade
that was.

Anyone who provides information will of course be mentioned.

Also if you know of any web sites that provide useful info about games
please let me know.

Many thanks.

Michael Tombs

National Day Care Standards

The new National Day Care Standards have been published - these standards
follow on from the consultation that was undertaken last year.

These standards will form the basis of an OFSTED inspection for all play,
childcare and early years day care providers.

At the consultation stage Open Access play was not included - however
following the consultation responses from the Open Access sector - an
appendix has been created that changes or excludes the standards.

The standards document is available from the UKplayworkers files area at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UKplayworkers just select "Files" on the left
hand column of the screen and then click on the folder "National Standards
2000".

I am in the process of cutting and pasting to produce the Open Access
standards so that Open Access staff do not have to keep thumbing back and
forth through the standards to make sense of them.

I shall let subscribers know when I have completed this.
 The Nicola Canning Column!
In this edition we have two articles from Nicola Canning, both of which are
very interesting.

You may remember that, in the last issue, I interviewed Kendra Tarplee,
Project Manager / Play Leader at TAPS [Treharris After school Play Scheme].
Kendra was pleased with the submission and I feel I should tell readers
that, following that interview and previous meetings with TAPS; the staff
are now Boycotting Nescafe!

A TAPS update - TAPS have now secured further funding from Children in Need,
leading to one extra opening day, a much needed day in this area of the
valley.  Kendra is extremely pleased with this funding and, once again, I
wish them all the very best for their future.  TAPS's web site will be at
this address www.geocities.com/afterschooluk, this site is currently under
construction.

Obtaining an interview for this issue of UKPlayworkers has not been as easy
as I anticipated.  This is due to the run up to the Easter play schemes that
are run by the Merthyr Tydfil Play Forum
[www.geocities.com/merthyrtydfilplayforum], whom I work for and who gained
the funding to run play schemes at three different sites in the Merthyr
Tydfil County Borough.  The AGM's of both MTPF and TASK [Troedyrhiw After
School Klub], who I was hoping to interview for this issue, are currently
being prepared, leaving little time to deal with an interview.

I would like to submit an interview from MTPF's Play Development Officer,
Paula Wood, if she is willing, as many after school clubs depend on their
input and support.  Without such a body, there may not be as many after
school provisions within Merthyr Tydfil.  They help with grants and funding
applications for the continuance of the provisions we have here.

I do apologise to all who were hoping for a further interview with one of
our provisions here, but, unfortunately, they are all busy.

Nicola Canning
Former Playcare Worker
Cert.Ed. [E&T] Student - Year 1

For this submission, I asked Helene French from Trinity Out of School Club
in Merthyr Vale, Merthyr Tydfil, to help me out.

Trinity has been running for one year and has 97 children aged 5 - 11, which
includes five considered to be 'special needs', registered with them,
although they can only accommodate 25 at any one time.  Trinity, part of a
registered charity, has five members of staff and is run by a dedicated
voluntary management committee.

"The club is open five days a week," says Helene, "we offer a variety of
stimulating activities which help the children to develop through play."

The out of school provision is part of the Ynysowen Youth and Community
Project, based in a chapel renovated by them.  The project itself holds its
hands up to many community projects that have helped young people, children
and many adults alike, in the communities of Aberfan and Merthyr Vale.  The
Youth and Community Project is always willing to give support and advice to
other projects.  [If anyone would like contact information, please e-mail
me, address at the bottom of the submission].

On the funding issues, Helene says that there have been no funding problems
to date.  The out of school provision is funded through European Funding,
which pays for Staff, Bills, Rent, Equipment, Admin and Advertising.

Due to the fact that Helene has mentioned there have been no funding
problems, either short or long term, I can see this out of school provision
going from strength to strength.  It is fortunate that this provision is one
that can show sustainability and gain funding without any difficulties.  I
wish them all the very best.

The area they are situated in is about five miles south of Merthyr Tydfil
Town, the further down the valley, the more depravation can be seen, but it'
s getting better.

During my teaching practice recently, I had the pleasure of being part of
training some of the staff there, I can honestly say, without conviction,
that these Playworkers are an excellent bunch - I can see the kids having a
great time there.  Helene was a good student, Playworker and friend; she is
very approachable by all.

Trinity is open Monday to Friday from 3.30 pm - 6.00 pm on school days, with
a pickup service an optional extra, and 8.30 am - 5.00 pm during holidays.

Nicola Canning
Cert.Ed.E&T Student YR1

NVQ Conference
Tuesday 12th June 2001

Call 01323 73830 for details

Play Therapy Workshops

I am holding a number of workshops
throughout the UK on Play Therapy.

Some of the workshops are as follows:

Introduction to Play Therapy

Play Therapy for Angry Children

Play Therapy with Preschool Children

Play Therapy for Children with Special Needs

and

Play Therapy for Therapeutic Events

there are different venues including:

Aberdeen, Scotland
Elgin, Scotland
Isle of Skye, Scotland
Swindon, Wilts, England
Middlesex, England
Manchester, England

If you wish further information and registrations forms, please email me at
[log in to unmask] with your mailing address and I will get them
out to you as soon as possible.

Sincerely
Dr. Lisa Mathieson
Play Therapist

Play for Awards

In the last issue of the UKPlayworkers E-newsletter, Play For Awards
requested information on funding to further the scheme, stating, "they are
in need of whatever help anyone can offer".

One of the founders read that about £500 could be made available, pending a
suitable application.

However, this funding opportunity was mentioned in a magazine from KCN.

Having given it some thought, both founders decided that their consciences
could not possibly allow either of them to receive funding from a body who
receive assistance from Nestle and have therefore decided that, no matter
how much in need of funding they are, they will continue to support
UKPlayworkers in their boycott of Nescafe!

 Editorial

It is now becoming traditional that I write a short editorial piece for this
E-newsletter. I must clearly state that any views expressed are my own, and
may not be the same as those of my employer or Fair Play for Children.

In this edition I would like to briefly update members on the Nestlè
Sponsorship debate and to discuss the new standards for day care.

Starting with the standards they have now been published and include over
night stays as well as open access play, the standards are very interesting
reading, especially the open access ratio of 1:13 for children aged 5-8
years, which could be even higher if the open access scheme is based in a
public park.

I personally think that this ratio will have it's benefits but it will also
have significant drawbacks - the open access play provision in this country
would have been completely different if the 1989 Children Act had ratio's of
1:13, schemes would have been saved from closure.

Briefly on to the KCN and Nestlè Sponsorship debate - I gave not had any
further correspondence with KCN or Baby Milk Action. However I finally
received an e-mail from the Nestlè public relations office some three months
after contacting them, their e-mail said they would "get back to me" .... I'
m still waiting.

Four and a half pages and not one mention of the "E" word ... Election!!! -
will we have a change in government??? Will play and childcare still be a
major social policy issue??? - we'll know in about 72 hours .. only time
will tell.

So that's it for this edition - sorry it's short but the next edition is due
in one month - if you have any idea's, articles, requests for help, etc
please, please e-mail me.

 Bibliography

Nicola Canning
The Nicola Canning Column!

2nd Major National Conference and Exhibition on the Playwork S/NVQ e-mail

  Workshops in Play Therapy e-mail

 Michael Tombs, AILAM, Dip Child Psy., Dip C.D.C. [log in to unmask]
Host of UKplayworkers Virtual Community
Host of the UKpre-schoolgroups and UKtoddlergroups Internet Mailing Lists
Fair Play for Children's County Co-ordinator for Hertfordshire

© Michael Tombs & UKplayworkers - 05 June 2001