Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Direct Debits & Consumer Credit Act

"Lockyer, Raymond" <[log in to unmask]>

This list aims to provide a means for communication and information dissemi <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:49:32 +0000

TEXT/PLAIN

Hi - I'm not sute how this topic got ressurected but anyway
I'm quite happy to copy my findings - the following is a
copy of a memo I sent to our Head of Financial Accounts -
he was responsible for initiating the enquiry.

"Peter - you asked me to look at the implications of
offering undergraduate fulltime home students the facility
of paying their tuition fees by direct debit with specific
reference to the Consumer Credit Act.

I spoke to a Trevor Single at the Office of Fair Trading
and he explained that we can offer the students 4
instalments and not be subject to the Consumer Credit Act
regulations. Any more than 4 instalments and we have to
conform to the regulations. I therefore sent for, and
received, the following OFT booklets: -

Consumer Credit Act 1974: Cancellable agreements
Consumer Credit Act 1974: Non-Cancellable agreements
Consumer Credit Act 1974: Matters arising during the
lifetime of an agreement

In summary the Act lays down a comprehensive legal
framework to regulate consumer credit and consumer hire and
covers most forms of lending, up to £25,000. Businesses
must be licensed by the Office of Fair Trading.

The main aim of the legislation is to ensure that borrowers
are given full and accurate information, to enable them to
choose the best agreement for their purposes, and to inform
them of the legal rights that the Act gives them.

While there are some criminal offences in the Act, most of
its provisions are matters of civil law, and breaches often
make the agreement unenforceable against the debtor. The
licensing system does, however, allow the Director-General
to consider persistent breaches of civil provisions in
assessing whether a company should be allowed to retain its
license.

Among the many sets of regulations under the Act, are those
detailing how the Annual Percentage Rate of charge for
credit (the APR) is calculated, and the rebate of interest
to which a debtor is entitled, if he pays a loan early. The
Trading Standards Service uses computer programs to perform
these often complex calculations.

As you can see from the above, the spirit of the Act is
aimed at those businesses providing credit to customers and
charging them interest for this facility - which is
obviously not our intention. However, the Office of Fair
Trading (OFT) fail to make this distinction and have
bundled organisations like ours in with commercial
businesses.

In an attempt to see what other Universities were doing I
sent an e-mail to the University's mailbase for finance
officers. This is a summary of a couple of the more
relevant responses: -

Bath - registered with local authority under the Consumer
Credit Act - they were advised that failing to register
would limit their ability to strike flexible payment
agreements with debtors i.e. £10 per week etc. -
'registration was simple and well worth the peace of mind'

Salford - 'The fact that institutions have failed to comply
with the Act by offering more than 4 instalments is not
necessarily a problem.  It would be if you wished to take a
student to court for non-payment of an instalment but that
is probably unlikely.  Any student who felt particularly
antagonistic could challenge the arrangement but, given
that the arrangement would have been made to make life
easier for the student I suspect it would not be taken
seriously by a court, although clearly you would be
reprimanded for failureto comply with the Act'.

My feeling at the end of this exercise is that the evidence
received is inconclusive. It  would appear that if we do
offer 5 or more instalments then technically we must
register with the OFT for a licence. The registration
process itself is not onerous but complying with all the
other requirements of the Act, do appear onerous i.e.
ensuring that borrowers are given full and accurate
information, to enable them to choose the best agreement
for their purposes, and to inform them of the legal rights
that the Act gives them - adopting the prescribed procedure
and using appropriate forms and wording etc.

There was a mixed reaction with regard to how other
University's have acted. Some have registered, others
haven't bothered.

It is difficult to draw a sensible conclusion from this
information and provide you with some useful advice. My
feeling is that if we do offer 5 or more instalments, no
one is going to complain and therefore detection of any
non-compliance would be difficult.  There is no intention
to charge interest and as such this would not become a
contentious issue.

However, the section that explains that any breaches often
make the agreement unenforceable against the debtor, is
worrying because the Consumer Credit Act is highly
regulated and if our administration is not scrupulous in
adhering to those regulations, then students may be able to
avoid debt payments on a technicality.

Not sure how much this helps."

Ray Lockyer

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001 17:03:25 -0800 Godwin To
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Raymond.
>

> Did you get anywhere on this?
>
> Leeds got some legal advice from their lawyer who
confirmed that 4 and > above needs a licence. Maybe some
HEIs failed to rekon this legal > requirement!!

<[log in to unmask]> wrote: >
> > Can anybody help - UWE is considering offering its
students > > the facility of paying their tuition fees by
direct debit. > > However, having contacted the DTI and OFT
it would appear > > that if we offer 4 or more instalments
then we will be > > caught by the Consumer Credit Act and
have to get a licence > > and have each student, paying by
DD, complete a credit > > agreement - plus we would have to
comply with all the other > > regulations within the act.
would > > appear that, although they are offering payment
> > arrangements involving 4 or more instalments, they are
not > > taking up the credit licence.
not be > > charging interest - is this relevant? Has anyone
had a > > legal opinion? Do we have to comply with the
Consumer > > Credit Act if we offer DDs with 4 or more
instalments? > >
> > Any help would be gratefully received. > >
> > Thanks > >
> > Ray Lockyer > >
Raymond > > Email: [log in to unmask]