Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: National Poetry Day

Lynn Owen <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 29 Sep 2001 23:29:16 +0100

text/plain

Helen,
I'm glad you added your twobobs worth you hit the nail on the head.
"where it's useful" you said.
John Clare is he a relation? He's described as an extraordinary story -
reported as writing his first verses in secret during his teens (no mentor
gets a mention for enabling him to develop the 'Craft')) the local lad done
good without a formal education!
But, lets not forget he did end up locked away in a lunatic asylum.
As did William Blake and others.
I'm beginning to think it's essential every poet has a mentor to steer them
on them the road to poetry.
But I doubt some bod counting syllables will be useful!
Only joking.
Lynn

Subject: Re: National Poetry Day

> I'm going to put my tuppeneth in to this very interesting discussion.
>
> I do quite a lot of work with poetry and young people and would agree what
> (I think) Lynn is suggesting that the primary objective is to allow
children
> to communicate about and explore their own world - to find their voice and
> creative core.
>
> For me there's a second process that then comes into play where it's
useful
> to encourage children to begin a process of reflection on their own work -
> ask questions like: which bit of your work do you think communicates best
> what you feel? what are you most pleased with? what sounds/looks good? is
> there anything you'd like to learn to do better?
>
> I think this is a long way from imposing my own values or any abstract
idea
> of what is "good", or restricing access to the medium, but at the same
time
> helps them develop. As educators we value what our children do, and also
> respect their potential to grow and learn.
>
> Helen

So