THE-WORKS  2001

THE-WORKS 2001

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: New sub: RIP (first draft) 9th line...

Christina Fletcher <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 24 Sep 2001 19:37:42 +0100

text/plain

Thanks Bob.  I've always found it very difficult to read anything I write
aloud, even in private, but I know you're right.  A few months ago I did my
first (and last to date) floor spot with the aid of enough snifters to give
me courage.  What a terrifying experience - and how different they sound in
sound.
What disappoints me most about this sonnet is the ending - I haven't been
able to find a sharp pun for the final couplet yet and I'm not sure that I
will.
I'll take you advice and see what happens.  Thanks for being so generous and
helpful in your comments.
bw

> Hi Christina,
>
> The 9th line of RIP...
>
> Considering this is a first draft it’s got so few wrinkles to iron out!
> I’m tempted to not let too much reality interfere with any poem that knows
> what it’s doing and how it’s trying to do it. We’re out to tell the truth
> (not the whole truth, and nothing but the truth...). I believe it was Jean
> Cocteau (but others say it was Malarme, and others say some other French
> poet) who said, “Poets are liars who speak the truth,” so I’d let the rest
> of the poem tell me what to do (and if it wants me to tell a little white
> lie, I’d tell one).
>
> In a relaxed kind of way I’d keep reading the line out loud to see where
the
> emphases (and rhythmically highlighted syllables in the words) come. Such
an
> approach, however, means (as I believe it did for Wordsworth with his
accent
> and emphases when he was writing sonnets) your mouth music might be so
very
> different to people with differing accents! (I was once in a pub-chat when
> someone said that when Robbie & Lizzie Browning read each other’s sonnets
> out loud to each other in bed, they probably winced!). My mouth has no
> problem with the line when substituting the word LAST for the word FIRST.
> But I guess the first word “mingle” has such a different sound to the way
> the rest of your lines begin...
>
> But that doesn’t matter much to me either... I mean it isn’t a purist’s
> sonnet anways – with a sentence ending on the 5th line! (There’d be
apoplexy
> squirming up through the starched collars – not a pretty sound or sight.)
> Why should it be written following rules that were initially made, and
> deliberately broken soon after, before even toss-pots and mangles were
> invented?
>
> I’m also the kinda reader who tries to scour away adjectives (as Mark
Twain