THE-WORKS 2001

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Marla Mows

Maryann Hazen-Stearns <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:27:52 -0700

text/plain

Hi All,

Have finally got my computer back up and running, and myself as well. What
a mess! Anyway, here's new one.

Oh yeah, and some good news...My youngest daughter just started her 2nd
year at SUNY New Paltz. Her English professor is starting the year off
with poetry and Rachel bragged that her mother has a poetry book published
and that it's available in the college library. The professor was
impressed and is now using it for the poetry portion of the class. Cool
beans huh??? heheheee....anyway, here's the new poem.

~*~

Marla Mows

She wasn't sure
if the damn thing would even start
She remembered how he poured the gas in
Primed it
Gave the rope a yank
or two

She could do this
Gas
     Prime
          Pull
               Pull

          PULL

     In a burst of sputter-blue smoke
the beast roared to life
Thank God

Marla followed the square perimeter of property

down
     across
up
     across
down

Mr. Dog watched from the porch
Marla liked the look of even green ribbons
Almost like the carpet lines
she vacuumed every morning

The sun fell on her back
     Dandelions lost their heads
Mrs. Tunis waved but Marla didn't see her
She thought about the car insurance
Had he always paid it in full
or by the month
     A hidden moth drunkenly escaped
     to the safety of a nearby hosta
They couldn't really cancel it
could they

She finished at the center
Pushed the red machine back to the garage
She watched her green sneakers
walking between the wheels
along the hedges

Mr. Dog barked
Marla walked
     A grasshopper lost a leg
She thought about the furnace
The loud clank each time it turned off
Simple lines

     back
and
     forth

The sun passed the maple
When was the next oil delivery anyway
She came to the end of the line
Began up and down
Now

     up
and
     down

Mr. Dog slept
Marla didn't really miss the phone
She secretly liked being disconnected
It was a relief

     up
and
     down

The mower coughed
hacked
and died

Marla and Mr. Dog looked at each other
She looked at the perfect green rows
One this way
One that
The lawn glittered in early evening mist

There
That was done
She thought
the good thing was
that by next week
it would all grow back

~*~

Cheerwell, Mary
BTW: can anyone tell me how to post a poem and keep the format intact?
I've got a humdinger I'd like to share, but it won't seem to hold its
form. Can anyone clue me in? Didn't someone once say something about to
lines like this -- or something like that??

=====
Good Cheer & Be Well,
Maryann Hazen-Stearns
"Under The Limbo Stick"