Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: (and pensioned off words)

Bob Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 26 Nov 2001 13:15:59 +0000

text/plain

Hi grasshopper & Vera,

I don’t know how to divide up my defence of what I’ve said (and the can of
words I’ve opened up). I know, myself, I probably wouldn’t want to use the
words anyway (this is my first defence) because I don’t like their
associations. A story... In one poem (a poem I’m now well pleased with) I
wanted to describe the moon in a way that fitted in with the rest of the
poem and the sequence (in other words, as Vera’s phrased it in her post, it
was “congruent in its setting”)... in the end “the moon is an oil rig that’s
gone adrift” took enough attention away from the moon (and avoided the kind
of associated sentiments of other poems) to make the line work. It seems
some words draw too much attention to themselves and the adage “murder your
darlings” seems good advice. If any word – never mind if it’s filigree,
shard, (or whatever) - just sits there and waves and shouts then I sense it
might well have to go (to give the rest of the poem a chance). Perhaps in
poetry I’m “image obsessed” (I think) rather than “word obsessed.” And I
also think I often associate words with sounds rather than meaning anyway.
Words, dammit, they can just get in the way of what I’m trying to make
happen! But I’m not just writing for myself. I sense (as I can’t remember
who first said it) “there’s someone looking over my shoulder when I’m
writing a poem...” (So, that’s my 2nd defence)
And, perhaps, like you grasshopper, if I ever became attracted to using
words I know will cause “poetic-language-offence” to some people (but I’d
like them to continue reading the poem) I’d highlight the word with my
felt-tip called irony... and, if I was as skilful and mischievous as Dorothy
Nimmo was, I’d play with the word for all it was worth.
I think, as well, I want more ordinary things in poems, the words we’re
talking about seem less than ordinary (because they’re striving so hard to
be extra-ordinary). Perhaps your comment about not using particular words in
serious rhyming verse because of the birthday-card associations of the word,
may be part of what's going on. (But, now, I'm thinking: should I try and
get "galore" into a serious poem...)And now I'm liking the image of shards
hung on zimmer frames, filigrees in bath chairs, rills dribbling with
dentures... Images! But words, they're like fish, they're slippery, moving,
lively, and (as the poet said) “y shudda seen th one thad gorra way!”
Bob