POETRYETC 2001

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Poetryetc Featured Poet: DAN SPIELMAN

Poetryetc provides a venue for a dialogue relating to poetry and poetics <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 23 Mar 2001 04:06:08 +1100

text/plain

Three works: _Where_ (an earplay) and translations from the French of
Arthur Rimbaud

*********************

WHERE
an ear play

- CHORUS
- PLAYER
- ORATOR

THE OCEAN. A GREAT RAFT. THE COMPANY.
IT HAS BEEN A VERY LONG TIME.

ALL (SINGING):

must go back

shifting to
the left leg
turn on the ball
of that foot

bending that knee
lifting the right leg
from the ground

sing

must go back
from the ground
lifting the right leg
bending that knee
on that foot

the left leg

shifting to
must go back
shifting to
the left leg

turn on the ball
of that foot
bending that knee
lifting the right leg
from the ground

must go back

sing

from the ground
from the ground
lifting the right leg
bending the other knee

that foot

the left leg

shifting to

must go back

CHORUS: one sip pass along
there's the jetty

PLAYER: contending

A LORIKEET SCREECHES.
THUNDER.

CHORUS: once there was a gasp so great, the women dug
themselves in with their elbows, shoving fistfuls
of earth into themselves, and the dogs went mad,
and everybody wept for some fallen god, or wept
in fear of themselves, a very long time ago.

before anything could flex, there was rain.
strangely, words withheld its force,
but they could not be stirred; everybody moved,
but helplessly.

the rain fell and fell.

but helplessly.
but they could not be stirred, everybody moved,
strangely, words witheld its force,
before anything could flex; rain

the women dug themselves in with their elbows,
once

in fact in its midst the town was growing,
something of before was resurfacing,
something of revolution,

it was hilarious

marketplace of corpses, puppet show,
silent puppet show of corpses, zipping around,
one gesture in its spasms - its hold was not complete;
many were born, there were months on end of prosperity.

then the players came.
and then they were gone.

THE COMPANY DISEMBARKS.

CHORUS: funny
CHORUS: laughing
CHORUS: light on my feet
CHORUS: seen Red?
CHORUS: shh
PLAYER: start again
CHORUS: sad
CHORUS: crying
CHORUS: slow but I'm watching
PLAYER: a game:
you cannot think
you cannot close your eyes
describe the footpath that goes through it
imagine stopping in the rain and staring
imagine the horizon
describe the black box on the table
imagine three eyes the first is blue
open it describe what you see
the second is green open it describe what you see
the third is red open it describe what you see
the last is black open it
through the last door you see a clown
describe what you do with him

A CLOWN DANCES IN THE DUST.

ALL (SINGING):

shifting to
must go back
shifting to
the left leg

turn on the ball
of that foot
bending that knee
lifting the right leg
from the ground

must go back

sing

from the ground
from the ground
lifting the right leg
bending the other knee

that foot

the right leg

shifting to

must go back

CHORUS: Come here step up your neck your throat
step right up take off your shoes take off your jackets
take off your gloves and your glasses
take off your noses take off your cheeks so you can't laugh
take off your skin lie down lie down on the ground
we're going to come round and dance in your chests

you have arrived

feel this face while I speak to you
feel the hearing feel my throat
guess the mask dream the strings
take off your face for mine
for that which cannot be erased

these marks in the earth were never here before
we are here

pay your money

the wings of that bird the wings of that bird
will amaze you

move along

no answer
when the whole place has emptied
underneath the paws of a dog or a dead man
no answer

tongues the chorus
eyes the rain

a mile long road pock-marked with mouths
dust rolling in
soil pushed in
food kicked in
it touches itself

THE PLAY BEGINS

THROUGHOUT THE PLAY, BAYING
THE HOUSE-LIGHT FADES

THERE IS A STAGE, FLAT AND WHITE WITH DUST AND FEET
THERE ARE NOISES, THE STAGE IS CREAKING
THERE ARE THREE WHITE LIGHTS SHINING ON THE WALL
THERE ARE PILES OF RUBBISH THAT LOOK LIKE CARCASSES

THE SOUNDS BUILD

THERE IS A TRAPDOOR AT THE TOP OF THE LADDER
AND A TRAPDOOR AT THE BASE OF THE LADDER
AN ANGEL FALLS THROUGH FROM ABOVE
TURNS TO THE AUDIENCE AND SPEAKS

THERE IS A BLACKOUT

THE DEVIL ARRIVES THROUGH THE LOWER TRAPDOOR

ELSEWHERE A HERO WANDERS INTO THE WOODS
COVERED IN BLOOD AND SALT BUT STILL ABLE TO HEAR AND SPEAK
HE ASKS TO BE WARNED OF THE DEVIL
HE IS SEARCHING FOR THE LIGHT

THE DEVIL WHISPERS SHATTERING HIM

THERE IS A BLACKOUT

THE PLAY CONTINUES IN A BOX

A CLOWN APPEARS
SCREAMS
EXHAUSTS HIMSELF
MIMICS THE HERO STEP FOR STEP MIMICS
EXPIRES

THERE IS A BLACKOUT

THE DEVIL IS WEEPING

THE ANGELS APPEAR
BRIGHT WITH BRONZE AND WINE
TEAR OFF HIS HORNS
RUN HIM THROUGH THE GROIN
HANG HIM UP

APPLAUSE

***********************************

Translations from ARTHUR RIMBAUD, a work in progress

PHRASES (from ILLUMINATIONS)

While the public funds flow in a feast of brotherhood, a bell of pink
fire tolls in the clouds.

*

The highland pond smokes continually. What witch will stand against the
pale sunset? What purple foliage will fall!

*

I've stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to
window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.

*

An overcast morning, in July. A taste of ash flies in the sky, -- the
smell of wood sweating from the hearth; -- soaked flowers, -- havoc of
avenues, -- the mist from canals through the fields, -- why not ready
toys and incense?

*

My mate, beggar-girl, terror! how little you care, these unhappy women
and these ploys, and my problems. Attach yourself to us with your
impossible voice, your voice! unique hope of this vile despair.

*

When we are so strong, -- who withdraws? so cheerful, -- who can't stand
ridicule? When we are so spiteful, what would they do with us? Grace
yourself, dance, laugh. I could never send Love out the window.

*

When the world has reduced to a lone dark wood for our four astonished
eyes, -- to a beach for two faithful children, -- to a musical house for
our clear friendship, -- I'll find you.

Let there be here below a lonely old man, calm and beautiful, surrounded
by astonishing luxury, -- and I am at your knees.

If I have realised all of your memories, -- If I am she who can tie you
up, -- I will strangle you.

**************************

SUN AND FLESH

I.

The Sun, threshold of tenderness and of life,
Pours burning love on the joyous earth,
And, when you are lying in the valley, you can smell
How the earth is nubile and debouched with blood;
How its great breast, lifted by a soul,
Is of love like God, of flesh like a woman,
And it holds, fat with sap and rays,
The great swarming of all embryos!

And all grows, and all rises!
                                 -- O Venus, o Goddess!

I yearn for the times of archaic youth,
Of lustful satyrs, of animal fauns,
Gods who corroded the skin of boughs with love
And among the water-lillies kissed the Nymph with fair hair!
I yearn for the times when the sap of the world,
Riverwater, the pink blood of green trees
Brought a universe into the veins of Pan!
When the earth trembled, green, beneath his goat's feet;
When, gently kissing the fine syrinx, his lips
Modulated under the sky the great hymn of love;
When, standing on the plain, he heard around him
Vibrant Nature answer his call;
When the silent trees, rocking the singing bird,
Earth rocking man, and the whole blue Ocean
And all animals loved, loved in God!

I yearn for the times of great Cybele
Who they say went, gigantically beautiful,
On a great bronze chariot, through magnificent cities;
Her two breasts poured through the vastness
The pure streams of infinite life.
Mankind sucked her blessed nipple, happily,
Like a small child, playing on her knees.
-- Because he was strong, Man was chaste and soft.

Misery! Now he says: I know things
And goes, eyes shut and ears closed.
-- because of it, no more Gods! no more Gods! Man is King,
Man is God! But Love, there is the great Faith!
Oh! if man drew still from your nipple,
Great mother of gods and of men, Cybele;
If only he hadn't left Astarte
Who once, emerging through the exquisite clarity
Of blue waters, flower of flesh that the wave perfumes,
Showed her pink navel where plunged a snow of foam,
And made sing, that Goddess with great black conquering eyes,
The nightingale in the wood and the love in their hearts!

III.

If the times return, the times that have gone!
-- because Man is finished! Man has played all the roles!
In broad daylight, tired of wrecking idols
He will revive, free from all his Gods,
As if made of sky, he will scan the skies!
The Ideal, invincible thought, eternal,
Everything; the living god, under his carnal clay,
Mounting, mounting, burning beneath his brow!
And when you see him plumbing the whole horizon
Slanderer of ancient yokes, free of all fear,
You come and give him holy Redemption!
-- Splendid, radiant, from the bosom of the wide seas
You will surge up, thrust towards the vast Universe
Infinite Love in its infinite smile!
The world resounding like an immense lyre
In the shudder of an immense kiss!

-- The World thirsts for love: you come slackening.

DAN SPIELMAN