Basic Grades

Cameron Kippen <[log in to unmask]>

No title defined <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Feb 2001 09:47:28 +0800

text/plain

netizens

As I understood the grading system, the basic grade was seldom used until
comparatively recently. From the introduction of the grading system,  most
graduates and new comers to the Health Service were appointed to Senior II
level. Much of this was to do with supply and demand, with the end result
graduates to the health service (UK)  started on  promoted scales. This was
not true of sister professions and many new comers to physiotherapy started
as basic physiotherapists. The custom and practice continued until economic
rationalisation caused a drastic rethink. In terms of salaries graduate
podiatrists would earn as much as any other graduate entering the public
sector. Their remuneration ceiling would be narrower than some and
opportunity for promotion within the system , limited. This situation has
not really changed that much in the last thirty years and it was certainly
beneficial then to be prepared to move districts for promoted posts. I did
it several times as did many of my contemporaries working within the health
service.

At the discretion of the employing authority they could  appoint
practitioners at higher grades should their skills and abilities merit such
an appointment. Presumably a similar situation exists within Trust or what
ever they have become. Albeit I believe the system of tender operates in a
different way.

The Association of Chief Chiropody Officers did several surveys of labour
movement and found most people moved to lower positions in the public sector
. This was explained at the time as many practitioners were female and had
moved as a result of their partner taking a new job in a different area.
They took the podiatry jobs that were available.

Again as I understand , but stand to be corrected, the Bachelor of Science
has no negotiable element to  employment within the public clinical service,
certainly in terms of remuneration. Being  State Registered  is  the key.
Hence in the UK system successful completion of the program at a recognised
centre of eduction for podiatry gives an attestation of fitness to apply for
registration  on the State Register. A similar system exists in
Australiasia. The bachelor of science is a bonus which has equity and
equivalence in academic circles only.

The goal posts have changed and now recent graduates would appear to equate
with Basic Grade (NHS). This does bring podiatry in line with other peers
however , a cold fiscal fact of business.

        As outlined in earlier postings the  horrendous experiences of new
starts  who appear to have to work to different set of conditions from those
outlined in their employment contract are obviously a constant source of
professional frustration.  The same experiences are mirrored across the
globe with many young practitioners in the States caught with colossal
school fees to pay off in their early years of practice. Australians and New
Zealanders have similar experiences and I dare say the Canadians Europeans

        The UK Society is a professional trade union and would have the
connections and influence to act on behave of their membership thus caught
in the  occupational  trap of public service. Also as a public servant their
would be opportunity as a union member  to have conditions of service
reviewed .This facility is not always open to others who are self employed
or working in the private sector.  It would be most informative to learn
what attempts have been made to negotiate the situation on these fronts .

        Look forward to your replies.

        Cameron

This message was distributed by the Podiatry JISCmail list server

to leave the Podiatry email list send a message containing the text
leave podiatry
to [log in to unmask]

Please visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk for any further information