NEW-MEDIA-CURATING 2001

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Curating

"Thomas Bell, Psy. D." <[log in to unmask]>

Curating digital art - www.newmedia.sunderland.ac.uk/crumb/

Sun, 22 Apr 2001 22:05:06 -0500

text/plain

Sarah,
     Your comment on 'mass and velocity, impetus and speed' strikes me as
worth comment, together with the question of place and permanance.

     The fGId project I' working on began, for example, on a bulletin board,
the impetus has come from many individuals, and it will soon have an impact
inWashington and England which in turn will have an impact on a lot of
doctors and patients.  Much of the material will probably disappear unless
there is a permanent place for it to be housed (a website and emails is a
different collection than a pile of letters and petitions)

     The Menezes tribute began in Brazil and had an immediate impetus from
an email from Wisconsin to Buffalo to an email list which eventually
elicited art works internationally (leading in turn to journal special
editions and exhibitions in several countries).  When completed (which might
happen at or during the international Epoetry 2001 meeting going on as I
write) it will be housed in Buffalo.

Reiner's project is another interesting example of impetus and velocity as
if I remember right the work was gathered in about a month's time from all
over the world.

tom bell