Fwd: News from the DNER

Chris Kelland <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 21 May 2001 10:28:34 +0100

text/plain

Colleagues

This flashed across my screen, and I thought I should widen its circulation
to all those working in the post-compulsory education sector.

Chris

Usual apologies if you receive this more than once.

Chris Kelland
Education Officer, National Learning Network Project Support
Becta, Milburn Hill Road
Coventry, CV4 7JJ
http://www.nln.ac.uk
******

From the DNER Collections Team

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing with an update on a variety of DNER
collections and collection development activities.  These
include:

*       British Standards Index Online and related resources
*       Infotrac Onefile and Customer Newspapers for FE
*       KnowUK
*       PCI Full Text

  Business Browser
*       E-Psyche
*       Early English Books Online (EEBO)
*       Know Europe
*       Planex and New Town Records
*       RLG abstract and index databases
*       Wiley reference books

7 British Standards Maintained set
7 Construction Information Service
7 Occupational Health and Safety Service
7 E4data and Specify-it

is to be launched to HEIs from 1 June 2001.  Details are as
previously circulated to lis-sconul and lis-jibs-users.

We are continuing to work towards an agreement for FE.  If
your college has an interest in any of these products,
please could you contact your Regional Support Centre and
ask them to pass this information on to Susan Eales?  Many
thanks for your time and kind assistance.
Infotrac Onefile and Customer Newspapers for FE

We are very pleased to announce the launch of our agreement
with Gale from 1 June 2001.  A description of the agreement
and licensing forms are now available online at:

http://www.jisc.ac.uk/dner/collections/gale.html

This agreement is open to FE institutions only.  Subscription
fees for the service are:

1 June 2001 - 31 July 2002      #250 + VAT
1 August 2002 - 31 July 2003    #500 + VAT
1 August 2003 - 31 July 2004    #750 + VAT

Please note that subscription prices for further education
institutions are subsidised with funding from the further
education funding councils.  Colleges may start to
participate in this agreement at any time, but must commit
to continue from that time until the end of the 3-year
agreement.  If you require any assistance, please contact
your Regional Support Centre.

#50 + VAT in year 1
#150 + VAT in year 2
#300 + VAT in year 3

Please note that subscription prices for further education
institutions are subsidised with funding from the further
education funding councils.  This renewal takes affect from
1 June 2001.  Forms for this agreement are NOT yet
available, but do not worry.  If you are currently using
KnowUK you will continue to receive access and we will
notify you when the forms become available.  You will then
have a period of time to download and return these before
any access is terminated.  If you would like to participate
in this agreement from 1 June, but do not yet have access
to KnowUK, please contact your Regional Support Centre for
assistance.
PCI Full Text

We are sorry to announce that it has NOT been possible to
reach agreement for renewal of PCI Full Text with Chadwyck
Healey.  The existing agreement comes to an end on 31 May
2001 (i.e. the end of this month), and the publisher will
terminate access in due course.  I would like to apologise
for the short notice of termination, but meetings with
Chadwyck Healey representatives continued until Monday of
this week in an attempt to reach some compromise.

This will most seriously affect the 12 HEIs currently
subscribing to the product.  Chadwyck Healey has indicated
that it will be willing to discuss licensing either PCI or
PCI Full Text to institutions that contact them directly.
For more information, please ring Andrew Hall on 01223
271254 or [log in to unmask]
Business Browser

We are beginning to discuss supply of this product with Dun
and Bradstreet, and expressions of potential interest from
colleges or universities would be greatly appreciated.
Please email [log in to unmask]  Many thanks.
E-Psyche

We are discussing supply of this product with Cambridge
Scientific Abstracts, and expressions of potential interest
from colleges or universities would be greatly appreciated.
Please email [log in to unmask]  For more information
about the product please see
http://www.csa.com/csa/factsheets/epsyche.shtml
Early English Books Online (EEBO)

An offer from Bell & Howell for EEBO has been received, and
an email discussion list (dner-eebo) has been established
to facilitate consultation with interested colleges and
universities.  To be added to this list, please email
[log in to unmask]  For more information about the product
please see http://wwwlib.umi.com/eebo
Know Europe

We have asked the Regional Support Centres for very rapid
help in gauging the potential value of this product in the
FE sector.  It would be greatly appreciated if you could
help them in any way possible in order to inform a
committee decision on the 23rd of May.  Many thanks for
your time and kind assistance!
Planex and New Town Records

We are discussing supply of these products with the
Planning Exchange, and expressions of potential interest
from colleges or universities would be greatly appreciated.
Please email [log in to unmask]  Some background
information is provided below.

The Publisher

The Planning Exchange was established in 1973 by the Centre
for Environmental Studies and the Scottish Office to find
ways of improving the use of research and shared experience
between local authorities and other organisations. The
topics were to be those which related to economic,
environmental and social development.  The main way in
which the Planning Exchange has furthered its objectives is
by developing a comprehensive and user friendly information
service. The Exchange also organised seminars, produces a
number of publications and conducts research projects.

The Planex database

The Planex database contains nearly 100,000 abstracts to
which are added 150 - 200 a week.

The abstracts, all written by PE staff, relate to articles
selected from some 500 journals, a great variety of
published and semi-published reports and parliamentary
questions.

The subject coverage includes:

7 Local government management and law
7 Community planning
7 Economic and business development
7 Education, training and lifelong learning
7 Environment and conservation
7 Housing, housing management and homelessness
7 Land use planning
7 Retailing, property and development
7 Social services including community health
7 Transport and infrastructure
7 Urban and rural regeneration
7 Urban design
7 European environmental and local economic policy
7 Tourism and recreation

The New Towns Record

The 32 New Towns developed since 1946 comprise the most
sustained programme of new towns development undertaken
anywhere in the world. Today they are home to approaching
three million people.  The UK New Towns Programme is
recognised as a unique social, economic and design
initiative and is an international role model for urban
dispersal and planned development.

Interest in new settlements is again on the increase in the
UK because of the pressure for additional housing,
particularly in the South. There is also strong interest in
the developing world due to population expansion. Also as
our existing New Towns mature new studies emerge and new
initiatives are tried which need to be disseminated.

The New Towns Record brings together in a single source a
fully comprehensive library and account of the New Towns
programme starting with the wartime planning work and
including the very latest material. It contains:

7 A full set of all the New Town Development Corporation Annual Reports from
1948 to wind up.
7 A full set of the Commission for New Towns Annual Reports from its
formation in 1963 to wind up in 1995.
7 A complete set of the legislation pertaining to new towns in the UK.
7 National location maps and specially commissioned maps showing the
development of each New Town.
7 Specially commissioned overviews of New Town development in England,
Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
7 Designation orders for each New Towns.
7 Local press reports on designation.
7 Forty two Master Plan documents.
7 Annual population and employment returns for each New Town.
7 Specially commissioned independent overviews for each New Town covering
the major themes of housing, transport, industry and employment, retailing,
town centre, open space and landscaping, leisure and recreation, community
facilities.
7 Interviews with master planners and officials who worked in each New Town.
7 Approximately 50 - 100 photographs including earliest and latest aerial
photographs of each New Town.
7 Key facts and statistics on age structure, density of households,
household tenure, transport mode, car access, country of birth, workplace
and residence tables are provided in tabular form for each New Town.
7 Local library collections and archives are documented for each New Town
7 Commissioned articles on 26 cross cutting themes such as housing,
landscape, public art and transportation.
7 The results of local interviews and surveys with residents and employers,
including some interviews in sound.
7 Over 40 key books and articles on New Towns development including the full
text of such major works as Ebenezer Howard Garden Cities of Tomorrow 1902,
Sir Patrick Abercrombie Greater London Development Plan 1946, Sir Patrick
Abercrombie and RH Matthew Clyde Valley Regional Plan 1946,
J.B,Cullingworth Environmental Planning Vol III New Towns Policy 1979, F
Osborn and A Whittick New Towns 1977, London County Council The Planning of
a New Town of 100,000 at Hook Hampshire 1961 and the Milton Keynes Planning
Manual 1992.
7 A comprehensive bibliography, filmography and glossary.
7 Extensive hypertext links throughout.

RLG abstract and index databases

RLG aggregates, and makes available through its CitaDel
databases in its Eureka service, a variety of a&i
databases.  They are:

7 Anthropological Literature
7 Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals
7 Bibliography of the History of Art
7 Chicano Database
7 FRANCIS humanities and social sciences index published by CNRS in France
7 Handbook of Latin American Studies
7 Hispanic American Periodicals Index
7 History of Science, Technology, and Medicine which includes the Wellcome
Bibliography of Medical Resources
7 Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals which includes a fair amount of British
and Commonwealth legal material
7 Index to Hispanic Legislation
7 Index to Nineteenth-Century American Art Periodicals
7 Russian Academy of Sciences Bibliographies covering 19,000 periodicals
published in Russia, the former Soviet Union, and other countries in Eastern
Europe.

We are beginning to discuss supply of these products with
RLG, and expressions of potential interest in some/all of
these resources from colleges or universities would be
greatly appreciated.  Hey have indicated that ATHENS
authentication might be implemented as a result of a
national agreement.  Please email [log in to unmask] to
express potential interest.
Wiley reference books
Industrial Chemistry and Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of
Chemical Technology (and potentially other related titles)
with Wiley, and expressions of potential interest from
colleges or universities would be greatly appreciated.
Please email [log in to unmask]

Many thanks for your time and kind attention to this email.
If you have any questions or would like any additional
information, please do not hesitate to contact a member of
the DNER Collections Team on (020) 7848 2937 or by emailing

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com