FILM-PHILOSOPHY  2001

FILM-PHILOSOPHY 2001

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: A Terrible Act of Evil (SIC) - Cuba's Castro urges U.S. to "keep calm"

Robert Koehler <[log in to unmask]>

Film-Philosophy Salon <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 12 Sep 2001 16:59:52 -0700

text/plain

Michael--
Out of concern that we transform this discussion site on film philosophy
into a discussion group on world-historical events and politics and the ways
of nation-states and terrorists, O'll try to be brief. Your posting of Fidel
Castro's speech yesterday is  edifying tonly as an example of that leader's
particular way with rhetoric. Just to be quite clear on this, Michael: Do
you agree with Castro's analysis? That, in essence, the attack on various US
public buildings yesterday was nothing more than a tit for a tat, a natural
response to US policy? Do you not think, Michael, that Castro was gleeful
over what happened? Do you not conceive his disingenuousness? Do you think
that Castro would be honestly capable of articulating the actual impulse
behind the act, that it is thoroughly imbedded within the most profoundly
warped version of Islam (so warped that it ceases to be anything Islamic at
all), and that it is the latest in history's long line of outrages done in
the name of God? Please don't hide behind a citation of a news report
quoting Castro, which is virtually meaningless in itself. Please instead
state your views on this: Where do you stand? I worry that the Garys out
there are so lost in an amoral haze that they don't know what hit all of us
yesterday. I hope you are not in that same haze, for this has nothing to do
with the finer points of US policy in the Middle East. This is something
far, far larger than that.
Robert Koehler