ENVIROETHICS  2001

ENVIROETHICS 2001

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Dead Proposition likely with the NY Incinerators....

John Foster <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion forum for environmental ethics.

Wed, 8 Aug 2001 10:16:39 -0700

text/plain

I received the NYPIRG "A Burning Issue" recently from Jim. I have not read
the entire paper but there is a lot of interesting information that is not
discussed in the highly critical article published in the Buffalo
Environmental Law Review.

The one issue that is not discussed in the BELR is the basic requirement for
incinerators to burn garbage. The problem with incineration is not simply
the release and transfer of toxic substances, but one of economics. For the
incinerator to operate efficiently has to have 'combustibles' in the garbage
such as newsprint, cardboard, and wood. If these combustibles are recycled
via source separation, et cetera, then the BTU content of the garbage
declines and thus the cost of burning the garbage becomes much higher. At
best, paper has a BTU content that facilitates burning of the entire waste
stream; however if the newsprint is removed along with carboard, et cetera,
then the burning is not cost effective, nor is it efficient. So what happens
is that if the upper range of recycling is achieved (for instance in Japan
93% of the newspring is recycled) then the ability of the incinerator to
reduce the volume of the Municipal Solid Waste is reduced to 40%. So in fact
the whole purpose of incineration is invalidated. All that incineration does
is reduce the volume of the waste if and only if the combustibles are
burned. Take the majority of the combustibles out through source seperation
and you end up with a 'dead proposition' regarding incineration.

The other economic costs associated with incineration are not even discussed
in the single authored report in the BELR. The hidden truth of incineration
too is that if the incinerator is working and the contract exists for a city
to supply a minumum amount of trash, then any waste reduction will cost the
city more money. Cities rarely own or operate their own incinerators. For
instance if a city has  a contract to supply 1000 tons per day to an
incinerator company, but instead only supplies 800 tons because of mandatory
recycling of newsprint, then the city still has to pay for the contracted
amount of 1000 tons per day. Secondly the city will also have to find a
landfill for the much more toxic ash which amounts to between 25% and 40% of
the original waste stream in volume because there is a certain amount of
bulky stuff that is not incinerated (old appliances, etc).

Another cost that is not discussed at all is the cost on human and
environmental health associated with the releases of heavy metals, dioxins,
et cetera from the incinerator. It is difficult if not impossible to
quantify the cost to human health which would result for say a proposal to
incinerate all of New York Citie's trash...

The cost of constructing and maintaining incinerators of this magnitude is
not discussed either...and the preliminary cost is estimated to be in the
range of $1.5 billion....

The real thrust of the BELR article is to serve as a screen for those that
have little expertise in the area of environmental sciences. For instance it
should be obvious that the beginning of the article notes that everyone
should agree that cell phone RF does not harm any humans, nor does Alar
pesticide harm people. The author attempts to establishe with apodictic
certainty that cell phones are safe even for babies to use perhaps, and that
parents of babies should not have any concerns regarding the pesticide Alar
used to kill codling moths on apples. But the fact is that the author does
not and does not even attempt to substantiate any of his claims regarding
any 'false positives' for instance...No scientists that I know would rule
out a true positive based on limited evidence to the contrary, nor on
conflicting evidence...some times a lack of statistical confidence does
indicate something valuable regarding the object but there is no reason to
conclude that 'environmentalists' are to blame for creating information that
is false regarding scientific claims.

There is a lot of interesting information in the NYPRIG "A Burning Issue"
that has turned out to be factual and there are some interesting omissions
(but not serious errors). One of the best  is that it is now illegal to put
newspapers into trash bins in NY City. This can cost the owner of the paper
a fine of $500 and a summons....to appear in court.

This feature is referred to as 'seperation' *before* the waste becomes a
'source' and this is the most dreaded and feared aspect that the
'incinerator' proponents have...not 'raw material' to burn, and this paper
and combustibles comprises at least 27% of the MSW. The NYPRIG does not rely
on source reduction through source separation in it's estimates, but rather
on 'after-source' separation which is more costly and less effective.....but
the BELR article fails to point out advances in recycling that would
help...for instance the 50% figure that the BELR article says is possible to
achieve came from the NY City's own Department of Sanitation...and the
author critical of waste reduction is accepting this figure without any
analysis or discussion. But if one reads the NYPRIG paper it turns out that
some countries have exceeded 50% reduction in waste production...not to
mention that there are some rural areas in the US that have achieved more
than 90% waste reduction.....

This item was not even mentioned in the NYPRIG article...but it is now law
in many regions...

There was another salient thing. The amount of trash being produced in NY
City has declined with the exception of Staten Island or Coney Island (I
cannot remembe the correct name) so it appears that waste production is
going down without any real effective measures to reduce waste through
source seperation, the use of mechanical separators, et cetera.

So I think the BELR article is meant to 'pull the wool' over some important
eyes...so as to screen the fact that recycling of combustible makes the
incinerator totally a dead proposition.....but shissshh you guys don't tell
a soul...this is supposed to be kept a secret....

chao

john