ENVIROETHICS  2001

ENVIROETHICS 2001

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Conservation: You get what you pay for

"Chiaviello, Anthony" <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion forum for environmental ethics.

Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:53:12 -0600

text/plain

About 4 years ago I listened to a graduate student colloquium on
"eco-tourism," given by Clive Muir at NMSU. he had looked into the
particulars of ecotourism to find that in many places it is meaningless,
just a marketing tool. For example, several places didn't wash your towels
every day to conserve water and soap, etc., and called that ecotouorism,
another place had you live in a cabin in the jungle of Guyana "with" a
native family, who turned out to be your hotel servants. So I would remain
skeptical of anything that calls itself ecotourism.
-Tc
Anthony R. S. Chiaviello, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Professional Writing
Department of English
University of Houston-Downtown
One Main Street
Houston, TX 77009