Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

[CSL]attack

John Armitage <[log in to unmask]>

The Cyber-Society-Live mailing list is a moderated discussion list for those interested <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 5 Nov 2001 08:10:26 -0000

text/plain

Forward From: Phil Agre [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2001 7:46 AM
To: Red Rock Eater News Service
Subject: [RRE]attack

Here are 150+ more URL's about the war, including extensive coverage
of debates over US war strategy, response to the anthrax attacks,
privacy controversies, nuclear security, recession politics, the
Muslim world, and fashionable political jargon.  Thanks to everyone
who contributed.

This is the last of these biweekly collections of URL's that I'm going
to send out.  It's gotten to be too much.  I'm talking with people
about tools for putting these Web-filtering lists together more easily.
I'll probably have more on that topic soon.

RRE home page: <http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/rre.html>

Please forward this message to anyone who can use it.

war

The Week It All Went Wobbly for the West
http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/11/04/stiusausa02012.html

Talk Grows of a Major US Troop Deployment
http://www.csmonitor.com/2001/1101/p1s2-usmi.html

Big Ground Force Seen as Necessary to Defeat Taliban
(I don't like where this is going)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A27171-2001Nov1.html

Thousands of Troops in Big Afghan Push "Within Weeks"
http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/11/04/stiusausa02026.html

A Vigorous Debate on US War Tactics
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/04/international/04STRA.html

Hawks Push Unfamiliar Allies Into a Belligerent Embrace
http://www.observer.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,587377,00.html

US Goals "Foggy" to Some Would-Be Allies
(that's because of the power struggle in Washington)
http://www.csmonitor.com/2001/1019/p8s1-wosc.html

More and More, War Is Viewed as America's
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/04/international/04ABRO.html?pagewanted=print

The Coalition Is Broad, But Can It Hold?
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/04/weekinreview/04APPL.html

Hunting Bin Laden: US Stymied by Slippery Target
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36323-2001Nov3.html

Torture, Treachery and Spies: Covert War in Afghanistan
http://www.observer.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,587311,00.html

Voices from the Region: Interview with Commander Abdul Haq
(interview about two weeks before his death)
http://www.ceip.org/files/Publications/lievendispatch-haq.asp

US Changing Color of Airdropped Food Packs
(not good)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A27560-2001Nov1.html

Osama bin Laden might have some of Russia's missing nukes
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2001350022-2001365997,00.html

Bin Laden May Have Miniature Nukes
http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/main.asp?id=3&date1=10/31/2001

Opponent's Escape Triggers Rebellion Threat Against Taliban Leader
http://www.smh.com.au/news/0111/04/world/world5.html

US Mum Over Performance of Combat UAVs
http://www.menewsline.com/stories/2001/november/11_02_1.html

"Great Game II" Has a Wealth of Players
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000087197nov02.story

General Gives Uzbek Leader Warm Words and Spotlight
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/31/international/asia/31UZBE.html

extreme repression by our good friend Uzbekistan
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-110301uzbek.story

With the Northern Alliance
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/14787

Pacific Plan Seeks Clues to Al Qaeda Contacts
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36549-2001Nov3.html

Somalia Draws Anti-Terrorist Focus
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36231-2001Nov3.html

Rising Muslim Power in Africa Causes Unrest in Nigeria and Elsewhere
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/01/international/africa/01ISLA.html

White Power and Al Qaeda Unite Against America
http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0144/ridgeway.php

Musharraf Walking a Tight-Rope
http://www.gulf-news.com/Articles/print.asp?ArticleID=31266

Dissent Threatens Pakistani Leader
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36303-2001Nov3.html

Pakistan Wary of Its New-Found Friend
(i.e., us)
http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/articles.html?print=true&id=011101
001513

The Risks to Pakistan's Nuclear Arsenal
http://www.newyorker.com/FACT/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36075-2001Nov3.html

Pakistan Panics Over Threat to Nuclear Arsenal
http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/11/04/stiusausa02016.html

propaganda war

US Campaign on a Second Front: Public Opinion
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/31/international/asia/31STRA.html?pagewanted=
print

Stop Bombing, and Start Thinking "Hearts and Minds"
http://www.csmonitor.com/2001/1101/p11s1-coop.html

Psychology is the Key to Victory
http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/11/04/stiusausa03003.html

Rumsfeld Shows How Truth Is Our Most Potent Weapon
http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/ny-vppag302438113oct30.story

Brand of the Free
(inept US public relations campaign)
http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/articles.html?print=true&id=011020
001032
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000086869nov01.story

anthrax and biowar

States Urged to Update Antiquated Public Health Laws
http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/nwlink.cgi?ACG=ZZZ3WYAOKTC

A Muscular Lobby Tries to Shape Nation's Bioterror Plan
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/04/business/04PHAR.html?pagewanted=print

Anthrax Probe Is Assailed
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000086866nov01.story

Take the Bin Laden Halloween Mask Off the Anthrax Threat
http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/daily/documents/01984065.h
tm

US Hate Groups Have Some Ties to Germ Warfare
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/02/national/02HATE.html?pagewanted=print

Fifteen Exposed to Dead Cows Treated for Anthrax
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2001/10/31/MN66939.DTL

site that gathers absurd anthrax-hysteria stories
http://www.gaffin.com/anthraxities/

Pasco Man With a "Sore Loserman" Sticker Arrested in Anthrax Scare
http://www.sptimes.com/News/102701/Pasco/Pasco_man_arrested_in.shtml

The Threat Extends to Our Burgers
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-000087168nov02.story

Food Industry Tightens Security
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-000086900nov01.story

Panel to Propose National Vaccine Laboratory
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20011101/hl/vaccine_5.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36072-2001Nov3.html

bizarre US military anthrax vaccination propaganda site
(you may recall that the subject has been intensely controversial for years)
http://www.anthrax.osd.mil/Flash_interface/intro.html

"why W. isn't talking about anthrax"
http://www.thenewrepublic.com/111201/lizza111201.html

Flu Season and the Anthrax Scare
(directory of links, including many not mentioned here)
http://poynter.org/dj/shedden/110101.htm

Analysis: Threat From Disease Weapons
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1618000/1618420.stm

Ventilation Systems Vulnerable, Officials Say
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32470-2001Nov2.html

Smallpox
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/smallpox.html

US Sets Up Plan to Fight Smallpox in Case of Attack
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/04/national/04CDC.html?pagewanted=print

And Now, the Good News About Smallpox
http://slate.msn.com/?id=2057774

civil liberties and security

Anti-Terrorism Law Likely to Bring Domestic Apparatus of Unprecedented Scope
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33340-2001Nov3.html

Massive, Secret Detention Effort Aimed Mainly at Preventing More Terror
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36356-2001Nov3.html

Terrorist Net Catches Some Who Aren't
http://www.msnbc.com/news/651663.asp

Clock Ticks on Terrorism-Related Detentions: New Law May Force DOJ's Hand
http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/nwlink.cgi?ACG=ZZZW7WBIATC

Government Asks Court to Consider Case of Professor Accused in Secret Papers
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20011102_1410.html

Critics Say Illinois Gov. Ryan's Anti-Terrorism Plan Too Broad, Redundant
(a prime example of inflating the word "terrorism" to cover almost
everything)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/southwest/chi-0111010174nov01.story

Privacy in an Age of Terror
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/01_45/b3756001.htm

New Law Contains ID-Card Proposal
(but then it's the Washington Times, which prints the lies that others
won't)
http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20011031-576161.htm

Americans Mull National ID Cards
http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/10/31/rec.national.id.cards/

States Devising Plan for High-Tech National Identification Cards
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32717-2001Nov2.html

national ID debate
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/01_45/b3756006.htm
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/01_45/b3756007.htm

left-right coalition politics of privacy
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/01_45/b3756005.htm

Will Face Recognition Keep Airports Safe?
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-7753504.html

ACLU: Face Recognition Systems Ineffective
(study the fascinating doubletalk in the "false sense of security" quote)
http://www.cnn.com/2001/TRAVEL/NEWS/11/02/rec.face.recognition.ap/
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5099140,00.html

The Fourth Amendment Doesn't Say What Most Libertarians or Judges Think It
Does
http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/nwlink.cgi?ACG=ZZZ22XJKKTC

Judge Rules Against Anti-War Student
(hello? the US is worth defending because it protects "disruptive" speech)
http://salon.com/mwt/wire/2001/11/01/anarchy_ruling/

Student, Principal Spar Over Anarchy Club, Clothing
http://www.wvgazette.com/news/Other+News/2001110128/

"law would force high schools to give students' info to the military"
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000087211nov02.story

Senate Measure Seeks Airline Passenger Lists
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000086861nov01.story

Karl Marx Led to My Arrest as a Terrorist in Germany
("you can't travel with books like this, said the arresting officer")
http://argument.independent.co.uk/commentators/story.jsp?story=102144

military call for proposals on anti-terrorism technology
(this is the very odd document whose press release I sent out before)
https://www.bids.tswg.gov/tswg/bids.nsf/DownloadBAAs/02-Q-4655/$FILE/ATL+BAA
+Package2.pdf

Newly Appointed Cyberspace Security Czar Aims to Prevent "Digital Pearl
Harbor"
(but I have yet to see much evidence that he knows what he's talking about)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36571-2001Nov3.html

threat of nuclear terrorism
http://www.economist.com/world/na/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=842483

Atomic Agency Warns of Nuclear Terror Risk
http://news.ft.com/ft/gx.cgi/ftc?pagename=View&c=Article&cid=FT3KALWNHTC&liv
e=true&tagid=IXLYK5HZ8CC

Are Nuclear Power Plants Secure?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32790-2001Nov2.html

European Nuclear Industry Hit by Terrorism Fallout
http://ens.lycos.com/ens/oct2001/2001L-10-22-04.html

No Room for Mistakes: Rethinking Nuclear Technology
http://www.fpif.org/briefs/vol6/v6n34nukes.html

Ridge on the Ledge
http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20011119&s=corn

Ashcroft Reveals Immigration Crackdown
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Attacks-Investigation.html

The Return of "Fortress Europe"?
http://www.stratfor.com/home/0110312230.htm

Visa Process to Allow More Time for Background Checks
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0111010322nov01.story

Pentagon Crash Highlights a Radar Gap
(it's true: we don't know remotely enough about where the planes are)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32597-2001Nov2.html

martial arts training for flight attendants
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-000087082nov02.column

Pilots Attack Security Measures
http://www.guardian.co.uk/ukresponse/story/0,11017,584446,00.html

DeLay's Arm-Twisting Won Airport Security Fight for GOP
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0111030124nov03.story

Bipartisan to All Partisan on Air Security
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/03/national/03SECU.html

Stalemate in Congress Irks Security Experts
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/03/business/03AIR.html

GOP Moderates See Dangers in Bush's Stance on Aviation Security
(votes on airport security and corporate tax rebates will be issues in 2002)
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/03/national/03BUSH.html?pagewanted=print
http://www.nyobserver.com/pages/conason.asp

Almanac of American Politics 2002
http://nationaljournal.com/members/almanac/

the Republicans' amazing "stimulus" proposals

Operation Enduring Avarice
(in-your-face war profiteering by Republican campaign contributors)
http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=11839
http://www.epn.org/cgi-bin/rd/epn_letter.pl?id=1500

Bush Proposal Is More Troubling in Key Respects Than the House "Stimulus"
Bill
http://www.cbpp.org/10-29-01tax.htm

Stimulus for Whom?
http://www.epn.org/ideacentral/cc/econ_crisis.html

they're using the cover of wartime to give money to Texas oil companies
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/31/opinion/31KRUG.html
http://www.thenewrepublic.com/111201/editorial111201.html

meet the leader of this travesty, Ways and Means chair Bill Thomas
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-000087170nov02.column

Wartime Tax Legislation and the Politics of Policymaking
http://www.epn.org/cgi-bin/rd/epn_letter.pl?id=1499

Recession Expected to Spread Worldwide
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36367-2001Nov3.html

For the First Time Since Ike, a Whiff of US Deflation
(deflation is dangerous: another reason why these "stimulus" plans are nuts)
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/02/business/02NORR.html

Islam and the Muslim world

"We Will Replace the Bible with the Koran in Britain"
http://www.observer.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,587331,00.html

British Muslim Support for Terror
http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/11/04/stiusausa01022.html
http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/11/04/stiusausa01025.html

Britain Ignores the Angry Muslims Within at Its Peril
http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/11/04/stinwcnwc01004.html

A Different Perspective: Muslim Websites in Britain
(the Muslim community in the UK is extremely different from that in the US)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/ukresponse/story/0,11017,584801,00.html

Survey on Saudi Arabia
http://surveys.ft.com/saudi2001/

Saudi Job Famine That Feeds Terror
http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/articles.html?print=true&id=011019
001156

Saudi Royal Family Faces a Battle Against Bin Laden Followers
http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/11/02/wfor0
2.xml&sSheet=/news/2001/11/02/ixhome.html

Yes, This Is About Islam by Salman Rushdie
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/02/opinion/02RUSH.html

The Anger of the Damned
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/14763

column about anti-Semitism in the Muslim world
(no, it's not like Hitler, but it's still reprehensible)
http://www.thenewrepublic.com/110501/sullivan110501.html

The Role of Faith in Peacemaking: An Islamic Perspective
http://www.usip.org/oc/events/islamic_peacemaking.html

Mutual Misperceptions: The Historical Context of Muslim-Western Relations
http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/cib/2001-02/02cib07.htm

Pakistani American news and information portal
http://www.pakistanlink.com/

Islamic Studies, Islam, Arabic, and Religion
http://www.arches.uga.edu/~godlas/

Experts on Islam Pointing Fingers at One Another
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/03/arts/03EXPE.html?pagewanted=print

The Making of Afghanistan
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/14780

"The Taliban Are Well Liked"
(we have to ask ourselves why the Taliban haven't collapsed as promised)
http://www.asiaweek.com/asiaweek/daily/foc/0,8773,180342,00.html

Afghans Are Their Own Best Keepers
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-000087169nov02.story

Muslim Leaders Attack Extremists' Claims
http://www.guardian.co.uk/waronterror/story/0,1361,583879,00.html

A Quiet Throng Hopes to Show "Correct Islam"
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-110301meet.story

comment

"Terrorism": The History of a Very Frightening Word
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/10/28
/IN159328.DTL

It's Only Going To Get Worse
http://www.inthesetimes.com/issue/25/26/feature2.shtml

"we should stop the bombing and intensify the international police hunt"
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2001/11/03/war/

Mistake to Declare This a "War"
http://www.thisislondon.com/dynamic/news/story.html?in_review_id=470295

all in one place, a complete catalogue of the stereotypes of war opponents
(plus rebuttals, some valid, hopefully provoking better arguments in
response)
http://www.nationalreview.com/hanson/hansonprint110201.html

The Real "Fifth Column"
(not liberal intellectuals but the far right)
http://www.salon.com/news/col/cona/2001/11/01/fifth_column/

Flight 93 Shot Down?
(I have no idea)
http://seattle.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=8369&group=webcast

The Role of Pakistan's Military Intelligence Agency in the 9/11 Attacks
http://globalresearch.ca/articles/CHO111A.html

utterly pointless but super-well-produced fake propaganda site
http://www.designdefenseministry.com/

The US Must Make the Transition From Informal to Formal Empire
http://www.guardian.co.uk/waronterror/story/0,1361,583902,00.html

Which America Will We Be Now? by Bill Moyers
http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20011119&s=moyers

How America Responds to the Unexpected
http://nationaljournal.com/members/news/2001/11/1102nj1.htm

anti-war advertisement from South Africa
http://www.twf.org/Library/HRFAdvert.pdf
http://www.twf.org/Library/WaronIslam.html

Wider War Watch: The War on Terrorism and the Impetus to Widen It
http://www.comw.org/pda/widerwarwatch/

The War on Terrorism, the World Oil Market and the US Economy
http://www.brookings.edu/views/papers/perry/20011024.pdf

America and the War
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/14760

more blithering about war dissent from Norah Vincent
(this column is so stupid that it isn't even jargon)
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-000086724nov01.story

Grover Norquist's Strange Alliance With Radical Islam
(it blows my mind that conservatives treat Grover Norquist as a leader)
http://www.thenewrepublic.com/111201/foer111201.html

How the Right-Wing Zealots Misuse the Word of God and of Our Founding
Fathers
http://www.democrats.com/view.cfm?id=5021

The Mini-Jihads of David Horowitz
http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?ItemId=12234

leading "Christian" commentator pushing for nukes against Afghanistan
(and repeating the shameful propaganda about the bombing of Japan)
http://www.nandotimes.com/opinions/story/161498p-1535347c.html

jargon watch: observe how the most extreme lies can be packaged as
innuendoes
(I guess many conservatives enjoy this sort of weapons-grade nastiness)
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/anncoulter/printac20011101.shtml

news and information

journalists and locals exploiting one another in Central Asia
http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/articles.html?print=true&id=011027
001534

Media Still Wait to Be Called Up
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000086851nov01.story

In Wartime, Government Considers Media a Menace
http://www.public-i.org/commentary_01_103101.htm

Focus on Civilian Casualties Would Be "Perverse"
http://www.fair.org/activism/cnn-casualties.html

Bibliography on Terrorism, Bioterror, the Middle East, and 9-11 Related
Issues
http://www.llrx.com/features/terrorbiblio.htm

investigation

Revealed: The Bloody Pages of Al-Qaeda's Killing Manual
http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/11/04/stiusausa02024.html

argument that Ayman al-Zawahiri is the real leader of Al Qaeda
http://www.csmonitor.com/2001/1031/p6s1-wosc.html

In Overheard Calls, Terrorists Spoke of Major Attack, Officials Say
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/02/national/02THRE.html

Hijackers' Meticulous Strategy of Brains, Muscle and Practice
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/04/national/04PLOT.html

Nuclear Plot Suspects Freed After Mix-Up
http://www.guardian.co.uk/wtccrash/story/0,1300,584658,00.html

FBI Raids Trenton, NJ Apartment
http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/11/02/inv.nj.raid/

19 Terrorists Obtained Social Security Cards
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A27299-2001Nov1.html

response

In Neckties or Fire Helmets, Victims Shared a Work Ethic
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/04/nyregion/04PORT.html

Service Brings Flight 11 Passenger Home
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/304/nation/Service_brings_Flight_11_passen
ger_home+.shtml

Secret CIA Site in New York Was Destroyed on September 11th
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/04/national/04INTE.html?pagewanted=print

Toxic Chemicals Released From World Trade Center Wreckage

Twin Towers Are at Center of Brawl Over Payments and Rebuilding
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/03/business/03BATT.html?pagewanted=all

House GOP Says McCain Will Pay for "Humor"
(gosh, I thought it was liberals who were humorless -- so hard to keep
track)
http://www.thehill.com/103101/humor.shtm

Republicans believe in the free market, except when they don't
(most of their beliefs are like that -- the case at hand is insurance)
http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/articles.html?print=true&id=011101
001516

background

The Ex-Presidents' Club
(the Carlyle Group)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/wtccrash/story/0,1300,583869,00.html

end

Distributed through Cyber-Society-Live [CSL]: CSL is a moderated discussion
list made up of people who are interested in the interdisciplinary academic
study of Cyber Society in all its manifestations.To join the list please visit:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/cyber-society-live.html