[CSL]: Article 94: From Goethe to Baudrillard

John Armitage <[log in to unmask]>

The Cyber-Society-Live mailing list is a moderated discussion list for those interested <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Mar 2001 08:23:24 +0100

text/plain

From: CTHEORY Editor [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2001 7:44 PM
To: ctheory
Subject: Article 94: From Goethe to Baudrillard

 CTHEORY THEORY, TECHNOLOGY AND CULTURE VOL 24, NO 1-2

 Article 94  27-03-01  Editors: Arthur and Marilouise Kroker

 From Goethe to Baudrillard:
 Science Fiction and (Neo)Romanticism

 ~Jeff Keuss~

 Postmodernism is German Romanticism with Better Special Effects

 It has been almost 20 years since Ridley Scott's _Bladerunner_ (1982)
 first played in theatres.  His vision of an apocalyptic world of
 ~replicants~, androids similar in all respects to humans and superior
 in many ways, who are created with full memories of their lives yet
 live for a mere three years, seems oddly contemporary in modern film
 and continues to draw crowds when re-released in theatres. Rick
 Decker, a 'bladerunner' played by Harrison Ford, reflects on the
 meaning of his life while watching the death of the last Nexus Six
 replicant Roy Batty --  "I don't know why he saved my life; maybe in
 those last moments he loved life more than he had ever before. Not
 just his life; anybody's life. My life." [1]

 Decker's internal musings continue as the film draws to a close --
 "maybe we are all looking for the same thing -- Who are we? Why are
 we here? How much time do we really have?" -- as a search for what
 Paul Tillich terms 'ultimate concern'.   More recently, the
 Baudrillardian influenced blockbuster from  Larry and Andy Wachowski
 -- _The Matrix_ (1999) -- was a film that while being seen as (to
 quote _Variety_) "the most original movie of the decade" seems, like
 _Bladerunner_, to be strangely familiar in theme -- "who are we
 really?"  "What does it mean to be alive?" "What is a human being?".
 These are not films of the Aristotelian heritage where ultimate
 answers to such queries are located in the world outside of us.
 Rather, the current strain of science fiction film seems to owe much
 to the metaphysical heritage of Augustine (in ~interior homo habitat
 veritas~; "in the inward man dwells truth"), Rousseau's _Emile_ and
 _Confessions_, and, strange as it may sound, Johann Wolfgang von
 Goethe.   Amidst all the technology and futuristic possibilities, we
 are shown cinematic narratives constructed around a search for a
 philosophy of Self that while being highly subjective, continues to
 ask universal questions of ontological form ("who am I?" "who are
 we?") that is amorphous in conclusion with a formlessness that is at
 times disturbing yet can be viewed as liberating.

  I have chosen to center this reflection primarily on the writings of
 Goethe and, in particular, _Wilhelm Meister's Lehrjahre_ as well as
 Baudrillard.  Postmodernism, contrary to being seen as a new epoch or
 age in thinking, is what I argue (at the risk of being flippant), as
 simply German Romanticism with better special effects.  Given the
 questions raised in Romanticism and the amazing similarities to
 postmodern discourse, Goethe stands out as a notable figure from whom
 to learn.  Francis Ford Coppola, director of _Apocalypse Now_, once
 commented that "If Goethe were alive today, I think he'd be a
 filmmaker.  His combination of art and science and his enthusiasm for
 technology is something I recognize in myself." [2]

 The remainder of my discussion will look at Goethe's tension he
 creates between representation (~vorstellung~) and concept
 (~begrifft~), those poles of tension so central to Hegel's
 _Phenomenology of Spirit_ and poles that Goethe is unwilling to
 resolve in his art. Goethe uses this aporetic tension between
 ~vorstellung~ and ~begrifft~ as the defining space of the self for
 both protagonist and, ultimately, the reader. I will refer to the
 hermeneutical bridge Goethe finds between his understanding of
 "morphology" gained from his scientific studies and his textual use
 of ~Bildung~. Between these poles of representation and concept,
 along with the space created between destiny and chance, Goethe
 creates a space for locating the Self in art and life that needs not
 to be defined in static realism, yet is given 'authenticity' in the
 Heideggarian sense of becoming.  First, a look at Goethe's _Wilhelm
 Meister's Lehryare_.

 In _The Life and Works of Goethe_, nineteenth century biographer
 George Henry Lewes made the following observation regarding attempts
 at critique of Goethe's _Lehrjahre_:

      He [the critic] is not satisfied with what the artist has
      ~given~, he wants to know what he ~meant~.  He guesses at the
      meaning; the more remote the meaning lies on the wandering tracks
      of thought, the better pleased is he with the discovery, and
      sturdily rejects every simple explanation in favor of this
      exegetical Idea.  Thus the phantom of Philosophy hovers mistily
      before Art, concealing Art from our eyes.  It is true the Idea
      said to underlie the work was never conceived by anyone before,
      least of all by the Artist.  Hillenbrand boldly says that the
      "Idea of _Wilhelm Meister_ is precisely this -- that it has no
      Idea", -- which does not greatly further our comprehension. [3]

 While the assertion that _Wilhelm Meister's Lehrjahre_ has no
 organizing Idea may appear at first blush to be a rather extreme
 assertion, the observations of Lewes do have merit.   In his
 Afterward to the recent Princeton University Press translation
 _Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship_, Eric Blackwell raises similar
 difficulties in approaching the text by noting that many readers
 searching for a clear moral center will be left asking "what does it
 all add up to?" [4]

 It is precisely in Blackwell's question "What does it all add up to?"
 that one must begin.  Is Goethe attempting to produce a didactic
 pedagogy for selfhood that is empirically sound so that the component
 parts "add up" to a whole? Part of the challenge in addressing the
 relation of form and content within Goethe's _Lehrjahre_, and the
 interplay he is attempting, is that most critique of Goethe's
 aesthetic production has been isolated from his scientific writings.
 Therefore, to begin answering this query, let us turn first to
 Goethe's notion of nature found in his writings on botany and the
 notion of "morphology".

 Goethe attempted to frame an understanding of nature that was notably
 different in shape than most post-Kantian systematics.  In _Maximen
 und Reflexionen_ Goethe states that "physics must be divorced from
 mathematics.  It must be completely independent, and try to penetrate
 with all its loving, reverent, pious force into nature and its holy
 life, quite regardless of what mathematics accomplishes and does."
 [5]  Goethe goes on to note that

      Mathematics, for its part, must declare itself independent of
      everything external, go its own distinctive and important way,
      and cultivate a greater purity than is possible when heretofore
      it concerns itself with existence and endeavors to win something
      from it or conform to it. [6]

 From his interest in botany, Goethe drew a conception of *morphology*
 (a phrase which Goethe himself coined) that was a move beyond the
 rigidity of classification of type [7] toward a conception of *nature
 as process*.  In this regard, such an enterprise as merely ~labeling~
 natural cause and effect was not enough.  According to Goethe, what
 we grasp in ~labeling~ are only the ~products~, not the ~process~ of
 life.  It is the very process of life he wanted to explore, not only
 as a poet but also as a scientist.  Goethe discusses this contrast
 between static labeling of form and the search for formation in "The
 Purpose Set Forth" in _On Morphology_:

      The Germans have a word for the complex of existence presented by
      a physical organism: ~Gestalt~ [structured form].  With this
      expression they exclude what is changeable and assume that an
      interrelated whole is identified, defined, and fixed in
      character. But if we look at all these ~Gestalten~, especially
      the organic ones, we will discover that nothing in them is
      permanent, nothing is at rest or defined -- everything is in a
      flux of continual motion.  That is why German frequently and
      fittingly makes use of the word ~Bildung~ [formation] to describe
      the end product and what is in process of production as well. [8]

 In order to see the process, one must look beyond the cataloguing of
 type in order to gain an appreciation of the whole.  In _Naturwiss_
 he makes the following comment: "^EClasses, genera, species and
 individuals are related as instances to a law; they are contained in
 it, but they do not ~contain~ or ~reveal~ it." [9]  In this regard,
 Goethe's theory of morphology becomes an able hermeneutic for reading
 _Wilhelm Meister's Lehrjahre_.  To search for systematic stages of
 development as clearly demarcated signposts (class, genus, species)
 to show whether a life has moved forward in a systematic paradigm
 will leave the reader of _Lehrjahre_ dismayed.  As with his study of
 nature, Goethe's study of the nature of humankind in _Lehrjahre_ is
 not a quantifiable study where the parts equal the whole, rather a
 portrait is offered through the lives of particular characters that
 model, rather than explain, the qualities of the realizing Self.

 ~Bildung~ of Self as Text and Subject / Representation and Concept
 As put by Marc Renfield in _Phantom Formations: Aesthetic Ideology
 and the Bildungsroman_,

      [Goethe's _Lehrjahre_] narrates the acculturation of a self --
      the integration of a particular "I" into the general subjectivity
      of a community, and thus, finally, into the universal
      subjectivity of humanity^E even the knowledge of only a dozen
      words of German suffices to hear an interplay of representation
      (~Bild~) and formation (~Bildung~)^E [It is], in short, is a trope
      for the aspirations of aesthetic humanism. [10]

 This "interplay" between representation and formation is key to
 reading _Lehrjahre_, where the differential between representation
 (text) and formation (subject) disappears leaving a new hybrid. In
 summary, _Lehrjahre_ is not a representation of formation, nor is it
 formation theory placed in an aesthetic casing.  As with Goethe's
 morphology, this is a new "shape" altogether, that while idealized,
 is none the less "real"  [11].

 Morphological Poetics
 ---------------------
 As noted, there is a challenge in deriving a critical reading of
 _Lehrjahre_, as noted by Redfield in discussing the ~Bildungsroman~:

      The ~Bildungsroman~ paradox derives from that of aesthetics.
      The "content" of the ~Bildungsroman~ instantly becomes a question
      of form, precisely because the content is the forming-of-content,
      "Bildung" -- the formation of the human as the producer of itself
      as form. [12]

 Precisely because Wilhelm's ~Bildung~ in _Lehrjahre_ is *shown* more
 than explained [13], the question of content and form regarding the
 "how" of his ~Bildung~ can be troubling. Yet a fusion of mind and
 feeling does progress [14] into the realizing of a portrait of Self
 who has completed his apprenticeship and is ready for life. [15]  For
 Goethe, the shift must be made from an *empirical* reading of the
 text to a *morphological* reading in order to see the ~Bildung~ of
 Wilhelm take shape.  In the second portion of Kant's _Critique of
 Judgement_ (~Kritik der Urteilskraft~) entitled "Critique of
 Teleological Judgement", we see Kant's insights into Teleology as a
 heuristic principle for investigation toward understanding.
 Commenting on the limits of a purely quantified means for
 understanding of biological nature, he writes:

      It is quite certain that we can never get a sufficient knowledge
      of organized beings and their inner possibility, much less get an
      explanation of them, by looking merely to mechanical principles
      of nature.  Indeed, so certain is it, that we may confidently
      assert that it is absurd for men even to entertain any thought of
      so doing, or to hope that maybe another Newton may some day
      arise, to make intelligible to us even the genesis of but a blade
      of grass from natural laws that no design has ordered.  Such
      insight we must absolutely deny mankind. [16]

 Even for Kant, a purely mechanistic understanding of living beings
 was impossible.  Destiny and Chance seem to go hand in hand as
 irreconcilable opposites.  It was here that Goethe made a connection
 with Kant's philosophy and gained language for his own theory.  In
 his essay entitled "Einwirkung der neuren Philosophie" from
 _Naturwiss_ he describes the impact Kant's "Critique of Teleological
 Judgement" had upon him:

      But the _Critique of Judgement_ fell into my hands, and to this
      book I owe one of the happiest periods of my life.  Here I saw my
      most diverse interests brought together, artistic and natural
      production handled the same way; the power of aesthetic and
      teleological judgement mutually illuminated each other^E If my way
      of thinking was not always able to agree with the author's, if I
      seemed to miss something here and there, still the main ideas of
      the work were quite analogous to my previous production, action,
      and thought.  The inner life of art as of nature, their mutual
      working from within outward, were clearly expressed in this book.
      [17]

 In short, for Goethe the process of "becoming" is to be seen through
 a veiled morphology rather than a mechanistic system; ordering that
 is organic.  Destiny and Chance both play a role, neither to the
 exclusion of the other.

 The Destiny and Chance of Anakin Skywalker
 This is similar to the unfolding life narrative of Anakin Skywalker
 in _Episode 1: The Phantom Menace_ of the Star Wars saga.  Anakin,
 whose story unfolds with christological echoes (being born a slave
 and of supposed virgin birth) is embodied fully in his understanding
 of the world and his character grows and develops through its
 encounter with his environment.  His training is one of looking into
 to what "he is destined to be" rather than a systematic shaping of a
 ~tabula rasa~.  As Yoda mentions, although he is "the chosen one who
 will bring balance to the Force", he is one whose "future is
 clouded." He is to grow into his destiny and be led into it, yet
 chance is still at work "clouding" this destiny.  Anakin is change
 incarnate, but change with meaning and purpose.  As his mother, the
 Virgin Madonna-esque Shmi Skywalker, muses aphoristically, "You can't
 stop change any more than you can stop the suns from setting." [18]
 In Book I of Goethe's _Lehrjahre_, Wilhelm is given a similar paradox
 in the following advice from a stranger he encounters upon the way to
 an Inn:

      "Do you believe in destiny? No power rules over us, and directs
      all our ultimate advantage?"
      "The question is not now of my belief; nor is this the place to
      explain how I may have attempted to form for myself some not
      impossible conception of things which are incomprehensible to all
      of us: the question is here: What mode of viewing them will
      profit us the most?  The fabric of our life is formed of
      necessity and chance; the reason of man takes its station between
      them, and may rule them both: it treats the necessary as the
      groundwork of its being; the accidental it can direct and guide
      and employ for its own purposes; and only while this principle of
      reason stand firm and inexpugnable does man deserve to be named
      the god of this lower world.  But woe to him who, from his youth,
      has used himself to search in necessity for something of
      arbitrary will; to ascribe to chance a sort of reason, which it
      is a matter of religion to obey!" [19]

 As Wilhelm begins unknowingly his apprenticeship, a "stranger" offers
 this advice to him and as well to the reader of the text.  In
 Wilhelm's approach to life, and the reader's approach to the text,
 one should venture not to find solace in either the false security of
 certainty nor the supposed freedom offered by chance.  Instead, there
 is a "middle way" where "the reason of man takes its station between
 them [destiny and chance]." [20]  Finding this balance will prove
 hard to maintain as foreshadowed by Wilhelm in Book II:

      He felt glad as having thus been timefully, though somewhat
      harshly warned about the proper path of life; while many are
      constrained to expiate more heavily, and at a later age, the
      misconceptions into which their youthful inexperience has
      betrayed them.  For, each man commonly defends himself as long as
      possible from casting out the idols which he worships in his
      soul, from acknowledging a master error, and admitting any truth
      brings him despair. [21]

 Wilhelm gains a vision for a life that is free from pedagogical
 prescriptions through his reading of _Hamlet_.  Wilhelm states what
 is key to understanding Prince Hamlet's character:

      It pleases us, it flatters us to see a hero acting on his own
      strength; loving and hating as his heart directs him; undertaking
      and completing; casting every obstacle aside; and at length
      attaining some great object which he aimed at.  Poets and
      historians would willingly persuade us that so proud a lot may
      fall to man.  In _Hamlet_ we are taught another lesson: the hero
      is without a plan, but the piece is a full and
      rigidly-accomplished scheme of vengeance: a horrid deed occurs;
      it rolls itself along with all its consequences, dragging
      guiltless persons also in its course; the perpetrator seems as if
      he would evade the abyss which is made ready for him; yet he
      plunges in, at the very point by which he thinks he shall escape
      and happily complete his course. [22]

 Again, Wilhelm relates both instruction and warning to the reader --
 "the hero is without a plan." There is a destiny, but one without
 form.  To look for a mechanistic means of connecting events in a
 logical progression via the protagonist's forethought will be to the
 reader's dismay.  Wilhelm, like the plants that helped Goethe gain a
 concept of morphology, is himself an organic event rather than a
 static presence.  Both the reader and Wilhelm *open* in growth not
 *through* systematic understanding, but *toward* an end that is the
 fulfillment of 'apprenticeship'.

 In Wilhelm's reflection on his production of _Hamlet_, he makes this
 observation:

      In the composition of this play, after the most accurate
      investigation and the maturest reflection, I distinguish two
      classes of objects.  The first are the grand internal relations
      of the persons and events, the powerful effects that arise from
      the characters and proceedings of the main figures: these, I
      hold, are individually excellent; and the order in which they are
      presented cannot be improved.  No kind of interference must be
      suffered to destroy them, or even essentially to change their
      form.  These are the things which stamp themselves deep into the
      soul; which all men long to see, which no one dares meddle with.
      Accordingly, I understand, they have almost wholly been retained
      in all our German theatres.  But our countrymen have erred, in my
      opinion, with regard to the second class of objects, which may be
      observed in this tragedy; I allude to the external relations of
      the persons, whereby they are brought from place to place, or
      combined in various ways by certain accidental incidents.  These
      they have looked upon as very unimportant; have spoken of them
      only in passing, or have left them out altogether.  Now, indeed,
      it must be owned, these threads are slack and slender; and yet
      run through the entire piece, and bind together much that would
      otherwise fall asunder, and does actually fall asunder, when you
      cut them off, and imagine you have done enough and more, if you
      left the ends hanging. [23]

 Wilhelm becomes aware that an understanding of one's ~Bildung~ is
 found in the space between these poles.  The first being "the grand
 internal relations of the persons and events, the powerful effects
 which arise from the characters and proceedings of the main figures."
 [24]  This is an accounting of the obvious -- that which is seen not
 only by the Self, but also evidenced by others.  Yet there is a
 second class of objects that also plays a role in one's ~Bildung~,
 those being "the external relations of the persons, whereby they are
 brought from place to place, or combined in various ways by certain
 accidental incidents" [25]  *In short, the authentic self is located
 between what is seen and what is not seen -- between the represented
 self and the conceptual self exists the authentic self.*

 Goethe's Slender Threads and Shuffling Baudrillard in _The Matrix_
  This tension between the represented self and the conceptual self is
 portrayed vividly in _The Matrix_.  In the beginning of the film,
 Thomas Anderson (the protagonist played by Keanu Reeves whose true
 name is Neo [26]) goes to a secret hiding place in his apartment
 where there is a copy of Baudrillard's _Simulacra and Simulation_.
 He turns to the chapter entitled "On Nihilism."  The book is merely a
 shell -- a metaphor for the hollowness of so-called reality -- that
 holds a computer disc that is the only reality within the shell.
 This use of Baudrillard is by no means accidental.   For readers of
 Baudrillard, it is worth noting that the chapter "On Nihilism" in
 _Simulacra and Simulation_ is not actually in the middle of the book
 as 'shown' in _The Matrix_. Curiously, "On Nihilism" actually closes
 the book.  I believe this misplacement of the chapter serves as a
 device employed by the film makers to provide specific philosophical
 context for this complicated, intriguing film. While such widely
 divergent streams such as Christ imagery, eastern philosophy, and
 Greek mythology all inform the narrative and the characters,
 Baudrillard's _Simulacra and Simulation_ is probably the best
 starting point for a philosophical and sociological approach to the
 movie's content. [27]

 Baudrillard quotes from Ecclesiastes in _Simulacra and Simulation_ by
 asserting that "the simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth
 -- it is the truth which conceals that there is none.  The simulacrum
 is true." [28]  In _The Matrix_, the "reality" of earth as we know it
 is gone. The "real" world is a "desert of the real" in the words of
 Morpheus; a nuclear wasteland is all that remains and humanity
 "exists" in a simulacrum of reality as we need it to be: jobs,
 shopping, skyscrapers, etc. provided by AI so we will be content.
 According to Baudrillard, the truth pulled over our eyes is that "the
 simulation is infinitely more dangerous since it always suggests,
 over and above its object, that law and order themselves might really
 be nothing more than a simulation." [29]

 As with Baudrillard's 'simulation', so also Goethe's poetics
 preserves a space between destiny and chance, concept and
 representation, that opens a gap of the possible that is without
 truth yet is the truth.  Baudrillard asserts that the simulacrum is
 never that which conceals the truth, rather it is the 'truth' which
 conceals that there is no so-called truth. Goethe in his
 'morphological poetics' leaves the reader and the protagonist of the
 fiction 'without a plan' and with the troubling reality that what you
 see (and read) is all that you will get.   There is no 'destiny', yet
 there is no 'chance' in Goethe's universe.  Paradoxically, one's life
 cannot be planned, yet one must plan a life.  There are "accidental
 incidents" that arise and give shape to one's identity.  These are
 not to be discounted nor dismissed as Wilhelm's contemporaries have
 erred to do.  Throughout _Lehrjahre_, characters continually appear
 seemingly 'by chance' and offer necessary information and direction
 for Wilhelm as if by mystical means.  This comes to its most
 grandiose epoch with the revealing of Wilhelm's "apprenticeship" in
 Book VII by the Abbe' and the Society of the Tower.  As it is
 revealed to Wilhelm that his 'life' has been guided, he is told the
 following:

      "Perhaps," continued his interrogator, "we should now be less at
      variance in regard to Destiny and Character."
      Wilhelm was about to answer, when the curtain quickly flew
      together.
      "Strange!" said Wilhelm to himself: "Can chance occurrences have
      a connection? Is what we call Destiny but Chance?" [30]

 Here Wilhelm echoes the advice of the "stranger" in Book I quoted
 earlier where he is advised that "the fabric of our life is formed of
 necessity and chance; the reason of man takes its station between
 them, and may rule them both: it treats the necessary as the
 groundwork of its being; the accidental it can direct and guide and
 employ for its own purposes; and only while this principle of reason
 stand firm and inexpugnable does man deserve to be named the god of
 this lower world." [31]  In order to return to this truth, however,
 Wilhelm's "apprenticeship" is rendered descriptively rather than
 prescriptively.  He, like the reader, must discover the 'end' is not
 necessarily easy to discern in an orderly manner. The "threads of
 life" are indeed slack and slender. They run through the entire piece
 and "bind together much that would otherwise fall asunder." [32] It
 is this action of bringing together that the Self is known, not in
 the threads of destiny and chance, representation and concept.
 Rather, it is in the working of 'slack and slender' realities that
 the weaving of a Self is actualized -- not located in the threads,
 but in the pattern itself, or to paraphrase the words of Trinity to
 Neo in _The Matrix_ -- the "Matrix of the threads" can't tell you who
 you are." [33]  In short, we begin where we are and it is process,
 not production, that is all there is.

 Notes
 -----
 [1] Bladerunner (1982) - http://us.imdb.com/Quotes?0083658  This
 interior monologue was cut by director Ridley Scott in  the
 re-release of _Blade Runner - Director's Cut_.

 [2] Cited in GFT: Glasgow Film Theatre bulletin/ March 1999; p. 8

 [3] G.H. Lewes, _The Life and Works of Goethe_ Vol. 2  (London:
 T.Richards, 37, Great Queen Street, 1855), p. 201,202.

 [4] Johann Wolgang von Goethe, _Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship_.
 Edited and translated by Eric A. Blackwell. (Princeton: Princeton
 University Press, 1995) p. 381,382.

 [5] Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, _Goethe - The Collected Works:
 Scientific Studies Vol. 12_, ed. by Douglas Miller (Princeton:
 Princeton University Press, 1995) p. 303ff

 [6] ibid.

 [7] Goethe had read Linnaeus' system of nature whereby understanding
 of nature is achieved when "we have succeeded in arranging it
 (nature) in the pigeonholes of our concepts, dividing it into species
 and genera, into families, classes, and orders." ibid.

 [8] Goethe, "On Morphology - The Purpose Set Forth", ibid., pp. 63ff

 [9] ibid.

 [10]  Marc Redfield,  _Phantom Formations: Aesthetic Ideology and the
 Bildungsroman_. (Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1996), p. 38.

 [11] In Goethe's sketch _Gluckliches Ereignis_ he reports the
 following conversation with Schiller regarding his theory of
 metamorphosis: "We arrived at his house, the conversation began and
 drew me in; there I vigorously expounded the metamorphosis of plants,
 and with many suggestive strokes of the pen let a symbolic plant arise
 before his eyes.  He listened to and looked at everything with great
 interest with decided power of comprehension; but when I ended he
 shook his head and said: 'That is not empirical, that is ideal' (Das
 ist keine Erfahrung, das ist eine Idee).  I was taken aback and
 somewhat vexed; for he had emphatically stated the point that divided
 us^E But I collected myself and replied: 'I am very glad that I have
 ideals without knowing it, and even see them with my eyes.'" Cited by
 Ernst Cassier, _Rousseau Kant Goethe_. (Princeton: Princeton
 University Press, 1945), p. 73.

 [12] Redfield,  ibid., p. 42.

 [13] Book VII of _Lehrjahre_ provides an accounting of the "forces"
 at play in Wilhelm's _Bildung_ through the Abbe and the "unveiling"
 of the Society of the Tower's apprenticeship.  Yet pedagogy is not
 given beyond "forces at work."

 [14] As noted by Gerlinde Roder-Bolton, "The concept of ~Bildung~, as
 advocated in _Lehrjahre_, is a fusion of mind and feeling in
 individuals who respond freely to, and are consciously and
 inseparably part of, the creative forces of nature.  Since this
 creative power is also within them, prompting them to reshape their
 inner and outer world, they achieve the full development of their
 potential." _Studies in Comparative Literature_. Vol. 13: "George
 Eliot and Goethe: An Elective Affinity". (Amsterdam: Rodopi. 1998),
 p. 164.

 [15] As noted in the words of the Abbe at the conclusion of Book VII
 "Hail to thee, young man! Thy apprenticeship is done; Nature has
 pronounced thee free!" Goethe, _Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship and
 Travels_ Vol. 2 tr. by Thomas Carlyle. (London: Chapman and Hall,
 1858), p. 63.

 [16] Cited by Cassier, ibid. , p. 65.

 [17] Cited by Cassier, ibid., p. 64.

 [18] Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999) -
 http://us.imdb.com/Quotes?0120915

 [19] Goethe, _Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship and Travels_ Vol. 1
 tr. by Thomas Carlyle. (London: Chapman and Hall, 1858) Book 1,
 Chapter XVII, p. 61.

 [20] Ibid.

 [21] Ibid., Book II, Chap. II, p. 67.

 [22] Ibid., Book IV, Chap. XV, p. 207.

 [23] Ibid., Book V, Chap. IV, p. 241.

 [24] Ibid.

 [25] Ibid.

 [26] As stated by Agent Smith in _The Matrix_ - "It seems that you've
 been living two lives. One life, you're Thomas A. Anderson, program
 writer for a respectable software company. You have a social security
 number, pay your taxes, and you... help your landlady carry out her
 garbage. The other life is lived in computers, where you go by the
 hacker alias "Neo" and are guilty of virtually every computer crime
 we have a law for. One of these lives has a future, and one of them
 does not." http://us.imdb.com/Quotes?0133093

 [27] See also Jim Rovira, "Baudrillard and Hollywood: subverting the
 mechanism of control and The Matrix",
 http://members.aol.com/antiutopia/matrix.htm

 [28] Jean Baudrillard, "Simulacra and Simulations" from _Jean
 Baudrillard: Selected Writings_ edited by Mark Poster (London: Polity
 Press, 1988)  p. 166

 [29] Baudrillard, ibid., p. 177

 [30] Goethe, _Wilhelm Meister_, ibid., Book VII, Chap IX, p. 60.

 [31] Ibid., Book I, Chapter XVII, p. 61.

 [32] Ibid., Book V, Chap. IV, p. 241.

 [33] Trinity also makes the rather Goethe-esque statement at the
 beginning of The Matrix - "The answer is out there, Neo, and it's
 looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to."
 http://us.imdb.com/Quotes?0133093

 Jeff Keuss is a Lecturer in Theology and Religious Studies at the
 University of Glasgow, Scotland.  His research interests include
 contemporary hermeneutic theory, religion and film.

 * CTHEORY is an international journal of theory, technology
 * and culture. Articles, interviews, and key book reviews
 * in contemporary discourse are published weekly as well as
 * theorisations of major "event-scenes" in the mediascape.
 *
 * Editors: Arthur and Marilouise Kroker
 *
 * Editorial Board: Jean Baudrillard (Paris), Bruce Sterling (Austin),
 * R.U. Sirius (San Francisco), Siegfried Zielinski (Koeln),
 * Stelarc (Melbourne), Richard Kadrey (San Francisco),
 * Timothy Murray (Ithaca/Cornell), Lynn Hershman Leeson
 * (San Francisco), Stephen Pfohl (Boston), Andrew Ross
 * (New York), David Cook (Toronto), William Leiss (Kingston),
 * Shannon Bell (Downsview/York), Gad Horowitz (Toronto),
 * Sharon Grace (San Francisco), Robert Adrian X (Vienna),
 * Deena Weinstein (Chicago), Michael Weinstein (Chicago),
 * Andrew Wernick (Peterborough).
 *
 * In Memory: Kathy Acker
 *
 * Editorial Correspondents: Ken Hollings (UK),
 * Maurice Charland (Canada) Steve Gibson (Victoria, B.C.).
 *
 * Editorial Assistant: Jeffrey Wells
 * World Wide Web Editor: Carl Steadman

 To view CTHEORY online please visit:
 http://www.ctheory.com/

 To view CTHEORY MULTIMEDIA online please visit:
 http://ctheory.concordia.ca/

 * CTHEORY includes:
 *
 * 1. Electronic reviews of key books in contemporary theory.
 *
 * 2. Electronic articles on theory, technology and culture.
 *
 * 3. Event-scenes in politics, culture and the mediascape.
 *
 * 4. Interviews with significant theorists, artists, and writers.
 *
 * CTHEORY is sponsored by New World Perspectives and Concordia
 * University.
 *
 * For the academic year 2000/1, CTHEORY is sponsored
 * by the Department of Sociology, Boston College
 * (http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/soc/socdept.html)
 *
 * The editors wish to thank, in particular, Boston College's
 * Dr. Joseph Quinn, Dean, College of Arts and Science, Dr. John
 * Neuhauser, Academic Vice-President, and Dr. Stephen Pfohl,
 * Chairperson, Department of Sociology for their support.
 *
 * No commercial use of CTHEORY articles without permission.
 *
 * Mailing address: CTHEORY, Boston College, Department of Sociology,
 * 505 McGuinn Hall, Chestnut Hill, MA 02467.
 *
 * Full text and microform versions are available from UMI,
 * Ann Arbor, Michigan; and Canadian Periodical Index/Gale
 * Canada, Toronto.
 *
 * Indexed in: International Political Science Abstracts/
 * Documentation politique international; Sociological
 * Abstract Inc.; Advance Bibliography of Contents: Political
 * Science and Government; Canadian Periodical Index;
 * Film and Literature Index.

Distributed through Cyber-Society-Live [CSL]: CSL is a moderated discussion
list made up of people who are interested in the interdisciplinary academic
study of Cyber Society in all its manifestations.To join the list please visit:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/cyber-society-live.html