Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Oslo Challenge

"Barrance, Tom" <[log in to unmask]>

Children-Media-UK aims to provide a space in which academics, regulators an" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 4 May 2001 14:59:13 +0100

text/plain

I thought people on the list might be interested in responding to this. I've
pasted the text of the attachment to the bottom of this message.

Tom Barrance
Media Education Wales

-----

Dear Sir/Madame,

I am working as a part of a research team to identify innovative media
projects
for, with or by children. This is part of the Oslo Challenge-launched by
UNICEF and the Norwegian government to encourage new initiatives to develop
the relationship between the media and children. The aim of this research
project is to develop a resource pack of good ideas. You have been
identified
as a potential source of information on projects which may be included in
the resource pack. I would greatly appreciate it if you would take a moment
to fill out the attached document and send it back to the above address.
 We will then contact you for additional information. Your help is greatly
appreciated!

With best regards,

Loretta Hieber

----

Ensure that the power of the media for good
in the lives of children is identified, encouraged and supported,
while the potential harmful effects are recognized and reduced...

this is the Oslo Challenge.

Launched by the Norwegian Government and UNICEF on the tenth anniversary of
the Convention on the Rights of the Child in November 1999, the Oslo
Challenge calls upon governments, organizations and individuals working for
children, media professionals, children and young people, the private
sector, parents, teachers and researchers to play their part in developing
the exciting but complex relationship between children and the media.
As one element of its response to the Oslo Challenge, UNICEF, with the
support of the Government of Norway, is producing a resource pack of good
ideas that have been tried and tested by media industry players,
organizations working for and with children, governments and
academic/educational institutions.  The aim of this pack is to encourage and
support new initiatives that will contribute to developing the relationship
between children and the media ñ a relationship that is at the heart of
young people's experience in the 21st century. By surveying and analysing
the experience of organizations who have already experimented with projects
designed to capitalize on the power of the media/child relationship and/or
reduce its potential for harm, the project aims to make available a
collection of good ideas that can be developed, adapted and tested afresh in
new situations and with new variables, adding to our understanding and, more
importantly, our practical ability to work in this area. The projects might
aim to improve the participation of children in the media, increase their
access to information, or help their understanding of media issues. Or it
could have some other aim ñ nothing is excluded that aims to develop the
dynamics of the child/media relationship.
Along with the resource pack, the Oslo Challenge e-mail network will be
expanded and energized so that ideas and information can be shared and more
players can be brought into the Oslo Challenge follow-up.

Please join with us to respond to the Oslo Challenge!
Fill in the very brief questionnaire on the reverse of this page and let us
know where we can contact you.  We'll take it from there...

If you want more details, including the full text of the Oslo Challenge and
a more complete description of this follow-up project, e-mail the project
team at: [log in to unmask]
Thanks for your help!

Joining the e-mail network
I want to know more about the Oslo Challenge.  Please put my name on the
e-mail network.                  I understand that I can ask for my name to
be removed at any time. (You can also submit this request by e-mail: please
include the words "OC e-mail sign-up" in the subject line, and send to:
Name:
Title/position:
E-mail address:
Daytime phone number:
Mailing address:

Contributing to the resource pack
I think you would be interested in a project/initiative that I/my
organization run/has run.  [Note: this could be a research study, a
production for/with children and young people, a training course, a field
project, a campaign...]  Here are brief details; please contact me for more
information when you have had a chance to compile the range of ideas
submitted:

My organization:
Contact person for more details on this project:
Title of project:
Aims of the project (maximum 10 lines)

How the project worked (maximum 10 lines)

Timeline of the project (exact dates, if possible)

Any output/materials I can make available to you (eg videos, publications,
artwork, studies)

Please e-mail this info to: [log in to unmask] or fax to: (+41)
22.329.03.10