ENVIROETHICS  2001

ENVIROETHICS 2001

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Russian oil and Israeli assassination

Steven Bissell <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion forum for environmental ethics.

Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:32:17 -0600

text/plain

I think I'll avoid the issue of assassination as policy since this is an EE
list. It is, however, interesting that the Israelis have placed all
information on sub-surface water in the region under military security
regulations. The use of water supplies as a means of warfare, or whatever
you want to call what's going on there, is an environmental topic. Several
years ago there was an article on this in one of the environmental planning
journals. One of the authors, a German living in Israel, had his work visa
revoked and was deported. I recall one of the pictures in the article showed
an Israeli village 1/4 mile from a Palestinian village. The Palestinians had
to walk a mile to pump water from a single well, the Israelis had swimming
pools. Although it is a difficult way to get the issue addressed, I would
hope that US policy in the middle east is more closely examined in the
future. I find it hard to accept that the US is supporting a nation who uses
assassination and environmental coercion as policy.

Steven

   On the other hand, prophets have a way of outlasting politicians. Gandhi
has outlasted Nehru, and it appears that Confucius will outlast Mao
Tse-tung.
                                Huston Smith