ENVIROETHICS  2001

ENVIROETHICS 2001

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

John. Jim wasn't implying that you were anything.

Chris Perley <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion forum for environmental ethics.

Tue, 5 Jun 2001 12:32:07 +1200

text/plain

I'm afraid Jim had it right John.  You did not respond to my point - and
that point was about importing tropical timber/furniture from probably
unsustainable sources.  Your comments were out of context - not for the
first time.  The issue was substitutes for decorative timbers for furniture
which were once sourced from our own forests (sustainably in the case of
Timberlands - though this is not universal - which is another irony because
they stopped the sustainable operations and unsustainable operations
continue), which now come in from one supposes are timbers sourced at lower
standards of management.  You make a claim that most furniture is wood fibre
etc.  NZ has any amount of crap wood for cheap furniture (pine, MDF etc.).
This is not what is coming in in dramatically increasing volumes.  What is
coming in is made up solid timber furniture from SE Asia.  Fact is it looks
better than pine and MDF, and if you cannot get solid rimu or NZ beech, you
will not generally go and buy MDF with a timber or plastic veneer on top.
As to affordability, even with the NZ peso we can afford any amount of
timber from Vietnam when paying them yongs (or whatever) etc.  Your
assumption that tropical timber - because it is high quality - is somehow of
comparable cost to western sources is entirely wrong.

This point about global consequences that are unsustainable has been made by
a number of REAL environmental groups in NZ (Ecologic Foundation for
instance), and for which the so-called environmental groups have no answer -
other than to make people eat cake of course.  We recently had a bizarre
incident where the Parliament buildings used imported Ivory Coast timber -
which some bright-spark marketer had called "English Tawa" (Tawa being a NZ
hardwood - to which this "English Tawa" was supposed to be similar).  When
it was pointed out that the source was not sustainable, and yet there were
Ministry of Forestry certified sustainable producers of NZ real Tawa
available the government threw a hissyfit.  They claimed that their decree
not to use any "native" timber in the building upgrade "of course" meant ANY
native timber, ANYWHERE in the world.  There were shrieks of laughter at
this incredulous spin, but nothing more than we are used to.  The PM even
said you would have to be "stupid" to interpret references in an NZ building
by an NZ government including the word "native" as refering to only NZ.  Now
this is interesting.  We are not allowed to use ANY worldwide "native"
timber in our own NZ Parliament.  Which means no timber of course.  A couple
of other extreme environmental groups have made this claim of course -
presumably encouraging finite petrochemical products or high energy
demanding substitutes like metals and concrete.  Or leave the planet of
course, humans being vermin.

To their credit the Grenn party came out and pointed out that the real issue
re the use of timber was whether it was sustainably managed or not.

Exactly!

Pity they didn't show that sort of maturity when they were trying to capture
the "save the tree" vote, and vilifying every death of an individual tree as
if it was an environmental disaster.

It would be good to discuss some of the ethical aspects of such things
without having to defend the right of humans to use resources - including
timber from their own country.  Or perhaps that is an important premise to
make explicit.

Do you, John, acknowledge that humans are part of this planet and need to
use resources, including wood?

Chris Perley