ENVIROETHICS  2001

ENVIROETHICS 2001

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Weakness of Will Conference in Montreal - Consumption ethic

John Foster <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion forum for environmental ethics.

Wed, 18 Apr 2001 23:01:40 -0700

text/plain

I don't know about this. Weakness of will is an individual character trait
which could apply to ethical persons just as easily to unethical persons. A
person may have a terrible smoking habit but would never advocate anyone
else smoking. There are lots of impersonal preferences which conflict with
personal perferences. Weakness of will is perhaps the antithesis of courage.
Courage is a form of endurance. I am not sure if 'tossing beer cans' out of
the plymouth along a stretch of dusty desert wilderness is unethical or not.

It is unethical if everyone is doing it and there are 6 billion person's on
the earth perhaps. This is a big perhaps. When the phrase 'weakness of will'
is used, it has really nothing to do with ethics. It is not my will be done,
but 'Thine Will Be Done'. Reducing personal consumption is about conserving
income, keeping the earth looking pleasant and tidy, and many other sort of
basicallly good traits and habits. This is the stuff  of good habits itself,
but I think environmental ethics is more comprehensive, and universal in the
sense of a social form of common exercise.

For example, if a nation has an opportunity to protect forests before they
are irreversibly mowed down by feller bunchers, and the stumps piled and
burned to get rid of root rot, then the nation may be wise to consider what
is at stake here (biological diversity and richness, incredible intricacy
and immaculate beauty). First of all the nation should ask professional
architects and engineers would materials can be used to replace wood. This
is the beginning of an ethical treatment of forests. Why use something that
is going to rot and fall down, is dangerous to life (5000 persons died in
house fires last year in the USA - probably 500- 600 in Canada).

In Lima, Peru, a city of 9 million, wood is banned from use in house
construction. The reason for the ban is because of fires, and also because
of safety due to termites eating the wood. The termites and the fires caused
many deaths. Outside the city limits where there are squatters living in
'estaras' there are gastly fires each week. The 'estaras' are mats made from
canes attached to small dimension lumber. The fires start from kerosene
stoves, candles, and most often it is children that are killed in these
fires. So the city of Lima, a city of 9 million persons, has a ban on wood
construction in homes.

Of course the decision to ban wood in homes was not primarily because of a
need to protect rainforests species, but rather it was due to necessity. It
was necessary to save lives and institute construction standards that would
prevent death and injury.

chao

john foster