The Disability-Research Discussion List

Managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds

Help for DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH  September 2000

DISABILITY-RESEARCH September 2000

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: "Simon Stevens":National crisis regarding PA problems

"Laurence Bathurst" <[log in to unmask]>

Laurence Bathurst

Tue, 19 Sep 2000 12:47:00 +1000

text/plain

Hello Simon

Gosh! I cannot begin to imagine what a pain in the arse it must be to have
to search so hard and wide to find a sensible PA.  I hope that there might
be some inspiring stories out there about brilliant PAs too so we can
maintain faith in humanity.

What I actually wanted to bring attention to, is that all of us, regardless
of disability may need to think of how we would like to be assisted in our
dotage (old age).  I just can't imagine having to live in a 'home' where
no-one cares about my miserable existence (imposed not innate) and where
people are more than happy to tell others that I am happy and that 'this is
my home' and other guilt-placating platitudes.

I intend to talk to my family about what I want and dammit...I want to be
treated like a God! I want a PA but I want security cameras in every room
and I want comfort, relief from distress and pain and a damned good
entertainment system.  This is only partly tongue in cheek.  I dread the
thought of being under the control of someone that does not have an
investment in my comfort and I wouldn't want my family to do it.  I mean it
when I say that I want security cameras.  Call me cynical but I've seen the
abuse.

Anyway, I just wanted to make the point that we *all* need to think about
our future and our care in the future should we live to require constant
support.

Laurence Bathurst
University of Sydney
School of Occupation and Leisure Sciences
PO Box 170
Lidcombe NSW 1825

Ph: 61 2 9351 9509
Fax: 61 2 9351 9166