DRS  May 2000

DRS May 2000

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Clarification for note on Design Inquiry versus Scientific Inquiry

Klaus Krippendorff <[log in to unmask]>

Klaus Krippendorff <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 25 May 2000 05:57:28 -0400

text/plain

instead of relying on definitions that entail the danger of claiming a
universalist meaning, falling into the trap of aristotles' taxomomies, and
being insensitive to specific contexts, i suggest to look at practices,
including linguistic practices, i.e. discourse.  when you analyze what
scientists actually do, the kind of reality they accept or reject, the kind
of explanations they prefer or reject off hand, then you may come to a
picture that is more interesting than asking what science IS.  my paper to
the conference will deal with these paradigmatic differences.  i could
attach it if it would be useful.  i can't reproduce all my arguments
although sid's insightful post certainly deserves that attention.

klaus