Get Password

Re: position on trans issues

Wed, 8 Mar 2000 17:09:17 EST

text/plain

In a message dated 03/08/2000 4:29:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> i am aware, btw, of the NASW (social work) new policy statement.
>
>  Hmn, interesting. Do you know if that's online? I haven't seen it yet.
no i don't know it's on line yet (knowing NASW i doubt it; i'm not sure there
web page is on line yet <joke>)

but i do have an article i wrote that i will post below:

This article was printed in Community February 2000

Social Work Embraces Transgender
By Arlene Istar Lev and Barry Moore

Amidst the multitude of changes taking place within the Social Work
profession at the turn of this century, NASW has adopted a policy position on
Transgender/Gender Identity Issues.  This statement states emphatically that,
"… people of diverse gender expression and identity … should be afforded the
same respect and rights as those whose gender identity and expression conform
to societal expectations."  This is an exciting and revolutionary stance for
NASW to take, and it is in our credit as social workers that at the Delegate
Assembly meeting in August of 1999, the policy statement passed
overwhelmingly with no amendments added from the floor of the assembly.

Barry Moore, delegate assembly member from New Jersey, began the process of
developing a policy statement in 1993.  Through extensive communication and
with substantial assistance from other social workers and members of the
transgender community, as well as numerous draft revisions, Barry was able to
successfully develop an inclusive and powerfully written policy statement to
guide social work services for transgender people into the millennium.  The
NASW policy statement will serve to educate social workers to the natural
development of those whose gender identity and expression may differ from
their assigned sex at birth, and to increase the awareness and acceptance of
transgender people.

The policy statement asserts that "NASW believes that nonjudgmental attitudes
toward diversity in gender identity and expression enable social workers to
provide maximum support and services to those of diverse gender.  Social
workers and the social work profession can support and empower such persons
in 'coming out,' dealing with family, significant others, friends, and
co-workers, and finding their way to peace of mind in the face of residual
socially and personally-imposed stigma."  Understanding that transgender
people must be included in the umbrella of our social service care giving
will serve to create and direct agency policy and educational objectives.
The statement further states, "NASW can be supportive in the areas of
professional and continuing education, public awareness, health and mental
health services and legal and political action."  The policy specifically
"…encourages the developmental of supportive practice environments for those
struggling with transgender issues (both clients and colleagues)[emphasis
mine]," recognizing that social workers are not just impacted professionally,
but also personally.

Of course this policy statement just represents the beginning of the social
work profession addressing issues affecting transgender people and their
families.  This will be an uphill battle affecting transgendered people
experiencing workplace discrimination, child custody issues and health
insurance reimbursement difficulties.  It will involve the need for
specialized social work services in the clinical, medical, educational,
policy, research and legal arenas.  Ultimately it will impact the political
process of including Gender Identity Disorder in the DSM, in much the same
way as the issue of Homosexuality as a diagnosis was impacted by the
burgeoning Gay Liberation Movement thirty years ago.

Social workers need to become educated about issues affecting transgender
youth, spouses of transsexuals, the differences between gender and sexual
identity, the humane treatment of intersexed infants, and utilizing the
Standards of Care for ethical treatment of transgender people developed by
the Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association, to name just a
few issues.  The passing of the Transgender/ Gender Identity Issues
Professional Policy Statement is an important first step for NASW in
addressing the needs of a previously ignored and clinically mistreated
population.  The full text of the policy statement will be published in
Social Work Speaks, which contains all NASW policy statements.

Copyright © 2000 Arlene Istar Lev

Arlene Istar Lev CSW-R, CASAC is a family therapist who specializes in
working lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people and their families.
She is the former Chair of the NASW NYS Chapter, Lesbian and Gay Issues
Committee (1986-1994) and is on the adjunct faculties of SUNY Albany School
of Social Welfare and Vermont College of Norwich University.  Haworth Press
will publish her book Transgender Emergence in 2000.  She can be reached at
Choices Counseling and Consulting, 321 Washington Ave., Albany, NY, 12206,
518.463.9152, or <[log in to unmask]>
Barry L. Moore, LCSW, ACSW is Associate Director, Social Work Services,
UMDNJ-University Hospital, Newark, NJ.  He has been active with the National
Association of Social Workers over the past 25 years to include the following
:    Co-Chair, NASW-NJ HIV/AIDS Committee, Former Co-Chair, NASW Lesbian &
Gay Issues Committee NJ delegate, Delegate Assembly - 1984, 1987, 1993, 1996,
1999,   Member, National Committee  on Lesbian & Gay Issues (1983-1986)He is
also a member of the NJ State Board of Social Work Examiners.  He can be
reached at 65 North Fullerton Avenue #22, Montclair, NJ 07042, 973-746-6196.