Get Password

Re: parents loose custody of child

Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:00:44 EST

Date:   08/30/2000 10:26:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:   Istarlev
To: Istarlev

Subject: Ohio Court Removes Child From Parents Because of Her
Date: Tue, Aug 29, 2000, 5:50 PM

GenderPAC
212-645-2686
www.gpac.org

Action@GPAC
Special Online Edition: August 29, 2000

======================================
TAKE ACTION! TAKE ACTION! TAKE ACTION!
======================================

OHIO COURT REMOVES CHILD FROM PARENTS BECAUSE OF
HER GENDER

[Columbus, OH: 26 Aug 00] A six-year-old child, Aurora Lipscomb,
was taken from her parents, Paul and Sherry Lipscomb, by the
Franklin County (Ohio) Children's Services (FCCS) citing concern
for the child's welfare. The parents say the county took their child
because they refuse to force her to conform to narrow gender
stereotypes.

'Zachary' Lipscomb was born physically male, but has identified as
a girl, Aurora, for four years - since she was two years old. Her
parents have raised her since that time as a girl. Last November
she was "diagnosed" with gender-identity disorder (GID) after being
hospitalized at Cincinnati Children's Medical Center.

The County acted less than two weeks after the Lipscombs enrolled
Aurora in the first grade as a girl. Acting on an anonymous call
expressing concern for the child, the FCCS sought and obtained an
emergency order for custody from a Franklin County judge.
Although the County refuses to list the caller's concerns, court
documents reveal that school employees and Children Services
officials question the gender-identity diagnosis as well as the
parents' refusal to force their daughter into out-dated gender
stereotypes.

An FCCS spokesman said that Zachary is doing well and has been
appointed an independent guardian who will act on the child's best
interests.

The Lipscombs say they will file a federal sex-discrimination lawsuit
against the Westerville school district and Children's Service. "We
have no idea what they are doing to her," said her mother, Sherry.
"She's not getting her medication... She's never even had an
outside baby sitter-not even family. She can't be fine. She's
petrified. I know it."

Attorneys for the Lipscombs have filed an Objection to the Court's
order taking Aurora the parents' home. A hearing will be held on
their appeal on 12 September.

"They want us to change Aurora to be male," says Paul Lipscomb.
"We are having conflict with physicians, Childrens services in both
Franklin and Hamilton counties in Ohio. They are talking about
residential care, which removes us as the parents. They are
beginning to say we are unfit parents, because we allow Aurora to
exist."

GenderPAC has been working since 1998 with a broad coalition of
national gay and feminist groups to reform GID so it cannot be
used to "treat" infants and children. Said GPAC's Executive
Director Riki Wilchins, "No child should ever be taken from her
parents and forced to conform to narrow, out-dated gender
stereotypes. American Psychiatric Association President Dr. Alan
Tasman and the G/L/B Subcommittee of the APA have been totally
inert on reforming GID as a mental illness. It's past time gender
was removed as a basis for psychiatric and state mistreatment and
terrorizing of little children like Aurora."

Contact those involved and tell them what you think about Aurora
Lipscomb being taken from her parents and forced to conform to
out-dated gender stereotypes.

Call the American Psychiatric Association's Dr. Alan Tasman and
the Committee on GLB issues of the American Psychological
Association and tell them to remove gender as a basis for mental
illness in little children like Aurora Lipscomb.

Dr. Alan Tasman
President, American Psychiatric Association
502-852-1126 (Louisville, KY)
202-682-6000 (Washington, DC Headquarters)

Committee on GLB issues of the American Psychological
Association:

Clinton Anderson, Ph D, Officer
202-336-6037

Janice Taylor
202-682-6092

Aurora is reportedly in the custody of:

John Sorro
Executive Director
Franklin County Children's Services
614-275-2650

Officials at Aurora's School:

Ms. Michele Klein
McVay Elementary School
614-895-5921

Reene Sterling
Executive Director of Student Service
McVay Elemenatry School
614-895-6080

An Open letter from Paul, Sherry and Aurora Lipscomb:

My wife Sherry and I notice our son Zachary at the age of two years
old preferring all feminine toys, clothes, shoes, and activities. We
first thought it as nothing to be concerned about. As Zach
progressed in age to kindergarten, there was always the
preoccupation to be a girl. Zach would emphatically state the she
was a girl, and announced that her name was Aurora. After several
years of therapy, which we found out that behavior modification was
being used. We finally came upon a physician who diagnosed our
child with Gender Identity Dysphoria. There have been four inpatient
stays, the third one last fall was when Aurora was diagnosed as
GID. On the fourth inpatient stay the physicians totally flipped the
diagnosis as strictly being psychological. We had to make a child
conform to the male gender Prior to this stay we had informed
them and the school that we were going to have her ears pierced
for her birthday, and support her in her female gender, by doing
home schooling, until she was able to mainstream.

She took an immense amount of harassment, behavior
modification, and bulling. Over all we need help and support They
want us to change Aurora to be male. We are having conflict with
physicians, Childrens services in both Franklin and Hamilton
counties in Ohio. They are talking about residential care, which
removes us as the parents to having custody, because we are to
be firm that our child has to live in a male gender. They are
beginning to say we are unfit parents, because we allow Aurora to
exist. We are definitely afraid that they may take our Aurora away
from us at any given moment without notice.  If anyone can give us
support it is: NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We Love our beautiful and creative Daughter. Please let us know
how you feel about our circumstances.

Paul, Sherry, and Aurora Lipscomb

>A defense fund has been set up for the Lipscomb's. The address is as follows:
>
>Aurora's Defense Fund
>c/o Attorney Mark Narens
>50 West Broad Street, Suite 1332
>Columbus, OH  43215
>
>If you would like to help Aurora's family in their legal battle, please send
>funds to this address.  Thank you in advance, Hugs.

Tired of searching for an apartment?  Try Viva!  It's fast and free.
Now serving Dallas, Houston, Austin, Phoenix, Denver and Las Vegas.
Rent by September 30th - get $100 cash!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9154/14/_/836207/_/968391927/