TARDIGRADA 2000

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Research intrests

"mark andrew welsh" <[log in to unmask]>

mark andrew welsh

Thu, 09 Nov 2000 14:53:31 GMT

text/plain

Hi there,

I am relatively new to the world of Tardigrades, and only came across the
mailbase by chance while searching the internet.  First I would like to
thank  Nigel Marley for setting up and maintaining the list.

I think it would be very useful if everyone on the mailing list writes in
and gives a brief description of their previous or current research
interests, relating to tardigrades, to allow for more open co-operation. I
feel this would be useful for everyone concerned. Perhaps even those of you
who have known each other for years. (Well who knows!) It might also be good
if people wrote in to inform everyone of the recent tardigrade publicatoins.
  Hopefully  the mailbase can become a powerful tool for research.

As I have suggested it is only right that I start:
I am working in Mark Blaxter's Lab in ICAPB ( The Institute of Cell, Animal
and Populaton Biology) in Edinburgh University, UK.  Recently Aziz Aboobaker
and myself have carried out molecular investigation into a species of
tardigrades. We have not been able to exactly identify them.  Although both
their morphology (from the key in Nelson, DR & Higgins, RP; 1990) and their
18s ribosomal DNA sequence  seem to indicate they are members of
Macrobiotus.  Aziz has plans to carry out further molecular work on this
species, whilst I am continuing to investigate their lifecycle.
We are currently offering a project for a final year zoology student to
survey the diversity of tardigrades in the local area.

the lab website is http://www.nematodes.org/
(Although there is no Tardigrade stuff yet)

So if anyone has carried out similar work and knows of any problems that we
are likely to encounter please let us know.

Good luck to everyone else, in all of your research intrests.

Mark Welsh