Re: politics of complex thought

"Hugh Tolhurst" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 21 Jul 2000 14:41:29 +1000

text/plain

Debbie Comerford <[log in to unmask]>wrote:-

Recently a
number of reviews of Australia's 'emergent poetries'  have condemned the
poetry for being too "microcosmic" and thus finds 'new' oz poetry
apolitical.  The problem with such a perspectives is that these readings do
not seek the 'politics of complex thought' but the orthodox politics, the
'molar politics'.

and though my backchannel appears to have stayed that way,
to explain my confusion, compare and contrast (a) Jennifer Maiden
in Overland 150:-

"Hugh Tolhurst's Filth and Other Poems is also rebellious in tone -
which again makes its microcosmic presentation a pity."

with (b) the opening lines of "in the red" which is the sixth poem
in "Horse Lyrics" (Filth p. 60):-

There are one & a half million people in US prisons
& with mandatory life sentences for traffick in drugs
they're growing old, they're taking lots of Panadol.
My ex crashed her Laser & can't make New York

& with mandatory life sentences for traffick in drugs
complete disasters save you from bigger ones.

Hugh Tolhurst