MEDLIB-L October 12-13, 2000

Silvia Patrick <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Oct 2000 16:04:40 -0700 (PDT)

TEXT/PLAIN

If you subscribe to MEDLIB-L delete now. Or continue reading and let me
know if I should have included some other messages, or skipped some.
MEDLIB-L October 12-13, 2000

Contents:
1. misoprostol, mifepristone, etc.[ From American College of Obstetrics
     and Gynecology librarian]
2. REF: Simple line drawings of the human body [Q. with one answer]
3. Favorite ER sites? [Q with three answers]
4. Commercial icons/partnership on a library web site [Q with one answer]
5. Personality questionnaires [Q with one answer]
6. Resources for independent learning in residency rotations [Q with one
    answer]
7. Laurushealth website [follow-up from a few days ago]

Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 12:03:11 -0400
From: Pamela Van Hine <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: misoprostol, mifepriestone,etc.

We have been innundated with inquiries about misoprostol in response to
the Searle letter distributed in August.  ACOG continues to support its
current guidelines on the use of misoprostol (primarily found in the
Committee Opinion on misoprostol and Practice Bulletin on induction, both
of which were published in November, 1999).  Both documents can be found
in the back of the November Obstetrics & Gynecology or in the 2000
Compendium or on the members' side of our web site (or single copies are
available upon request).  Additional guidelines on induction and
augmentati on are found in GUIDELINES FOR PERINATAL CARE (1997) and the
Technical Bulletin on dystocia/augmentation The October ACOG Today (our
newsletter) contains a short story indicating that ACOG continues to
support the use of misoprostol for cervical ripening as outlined in those
documents - and the ACOG obstetric committees
 are reviewing the issue this month.  Any changes will be released when/if
they become available. Our Excutive Vice President sent a letter to
Senator Hutchinson and Congressman Coburn on October 11, 2000 regarding
mifepristone and misoprostol, with attachments.  The letter can be found
on our web site, as can our statement released when the FDA recently
approved mifepristone for abortion. We really were swamped yesterday after
the NPR [National Public Radio] show on misopostol etc - you can listen to
the program through the NPR web site (www.npr.org/programs/morning
 - now find through their archives?  look for ulcer drug risks -
download as a RealAudio file.
hope that helps...

Pamela Van Hine, Director, ACOG Resource Center
409 12th St SW
Washington DC 20024
202-863-2518; 202-484-1595 (fax); [log in to unmask]
ps don't forget to vote!