Re: Setting Sail for Lost Legends

Chris Lees <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 10 Apr 2000 23:48:27 +0100

text/plain

Ray wrote :

<snip>
>I also think that it is directly contra to what I see as the inherent nature
>of ecopsychology, the study of human-nature-relations; the search for some
>kind of harmonious relationship among Mother Nature's children, including
>among her human off-spring.
<snip>

My ISP had a hardware failure and lost a whole bunch of my e-mail,gone forever,
so I did not receive whatever post you were replying to here Ray (
and anybody's
guess what else beside...) but yes, I endorse the search, and the wish for, the
harmonious relationship you speak of...a fine and noble aspiration.

But let's face it, it ain't going to happen, is it ? The prisons in
this country are filled
(mostly) with inadequate, damaged, unhappy people, casualties from the least
auspicious backgrounds, many with mental and emotional illnesses
caused by the very
conditions they have had to live in, who are locked away for petty
thefts, smoking pot,
and other relatively minor activities. The poorest at the bottom of
the social hierarchy
get persecuted whilst the people who are the REAL threat, who are the
REAL criminals,
the one's who are putting everyone's whole future in jeopardy never
get caught for
their crimes. Indeed, we don't even have any laws and frameworks for
making them
take responsibility for their crimes. The people I speak of are the
politicians, scientists,
technologists, and corporate executives who have pushed the technology that is
trashing the planet - e.g. those wonderful folk who gave us e.g. DDT,
PCBs, CFCs, and
the rest,- and now, (see below) this lovely new word that we all need to learn,
trifluoromethylsulphur pentafluoride

These folks  - chemists, industrialists, policy makers - should be hunted down
and arrested and locked away just like war criminals, because the
results of their
irresponsible tinkerings are crimes against the whole planet, crimes
against all
people and all living things...and yet we have no international legal
mechanisms
for forcing any such individuals to take responsibility for the
idiotic and reckless
decisions they make. Quite the opposite, in fact, because we have big business
spending billions to make sure that they can continue the pollution
and destruction,
and labelling anybody who complains about the idiocy as luddites and
ecoterrorists.

And if people resist, then force is used against them ( as, for
example, the Bolivians,
see snippet below, who complained when they have now to pay
exorbitantly for water )
When their survival is threatened, people quite rightly people get
angry and fight back.
There's no way the pressures are going to slacken off to allow any
harmonious future,
is there, because the global population is doubling, the
multinationals have to keep
on growing and exploiting all resources until they run out, and
there's no way we
can stop mad scientists trying out their latest gizmos to see what happens...

We didn't learn the lesson when Rachel Carson wrote Silent Spring
forty years ago,
and there's no sign that I can see that we are going to learn it...as
I said the other
day, the technosphere is destroying the biosphere, the biosphere is collapsing,
and nobody seems to have a clue as to what to do about it....so we
just carry on
making it worse, making it happen faster...<big sigh>

C.L.

From: Jim Shultz